• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack engine advice, swaps?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My younger brother bought a 1958 single axle B75 with a END673. It's obviously not a green truck but bear with me, I need the knowledge available here..

There are doubts about the engine as it was said "it ran 10 years ago when we parked it here". "here" appears to be in the woods from the pic I have seen.

Now this is a big old monster of a truck, and I am wondering if that huge V8 military truck engine would fit in it.. Does anyone recall what model engine that V8 is, or anything about it? The more loud and obnoxious it is the better..

Or is this a case where we ought to find a 400 from a Pontiac or a 500 from a Cadillac?

Brother of mine wishes to sell the truck.. His situation has changed and he is downsizing on many fronts. My question is, do I want the truck? And, what powerful engines could go in it? It's a nice looking old truck.

supermechanic

If loud and obnoxious is what you are after, look no further than an 8-71 detroit, aka 318 detroit.
It's hard to kill these old engines, why don't you see if the existing one will start?
Lots of garbage trucks, cement mixers and the like ran the 673 mack, parts are available.
Big block gas engine would be lost in something like this.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GL has new or rebuild 8v92s DD comming up all the time, a LOT of power, very thirsty

simpleserf

+1.

Try getting her started. Might be loud and obnoxious as is. If not, a Detroit fits the bill nicely. The only gassers I would even think about would be old truck engines. Most of them had low redlines and were pretty underpowered.

derby

Is the second video of the truck? Neat old truck, with an air starter to boot. The first thing I thought was Mad Max! He should keep it as is if possable. Well maybe a coupls deuce axles under it :shock:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are not the truck in question, just ones like it. I'll post a pic or two once I get to see it. too bad he can't keep it but at least it won't get scrapped since he already bought it!!

Mack B-75 and B-73 models have longer front ends to fit the larger engines of the day. B-75 were Mack motors, END 864 was a V-8 and B-73 where usually Cummins 220 and 250. If it was my truck 400 Cummins would work. Check out www.bigmacktrucks.com they are the biggest Mack Truck forum.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brother is still trying to get the truck transported. It weighs 12K LBS and is in Mansfield. Must go to Sanger. There is a pro that quoted $300 for the move, I think he better say yes.

Danl

Danl M915A1

If loud and obnoxious is what you are after, look no further than an 8-71 detroit, aka 318 detroit.
It's hard to kill these old engines, why don't you see if the existing one will start?
Lots of garbage trucks, cement mixers and the like ran the 673 mack, parts are available.
Big block gas engine would be lost in something like this.
Supermechanic, you did mean to say 8V71 aka 318 troit , Kidding aside you made a good call, that is what has to go in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks