• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack LJ Recovery, Pics

No.2Diesel

Hi,

For all you Mack lovers out there, here are some pics of a recent recovery. I was glad to help out a fellow ATHS member in need. This'll be Mack no. ?? to add to his collection. It's a very decent truck with the 707ci. gasser.

It did not run so it was required that it be pulled onto the trailer. The truck sat at the top of a winding drive with a steep approach. I had to turn around in the yard and back the trailer uphill so that it was just right. I dumped the air on the trailer, chocked it and disconnected. Had to raise the tongue on the trailer to slightly above level so as to not have a run-away truck haha when pulled on. There was a little wheel hop as the drive was on the north side of the neighboring trailers/equipment having a thick layer of ice/snow.

The journey each way was about 30 miles and uneventful thankfully. Lots of hills, nice scenery etc. Pulled just fine. I'm guessing a weight of 10-12K for the tractor, maybe someone with more expertise can chime in.

I wish I had taken more pictures but we were racing the sun as we only started out in the afternoon. These trucks are very appealing (similar look to a Sterling) and I can see why many have multiple LJs in their collections.

Enjoy the pics!

Oh and P.S. For all you Tractor-Wrecker owners out there: If you look in the attached pics you'll see a surplus Mack NYC Sanitation truck... I can't believe I hadn't noticed this before but the entire fleet uses Michelin Radial 12"x20"s. As the fleet is huge this is a great source as they are surplussed out. This unit was brand new with 95% tires. I forgot to take pics of the tire sidewall. I will when I go back.

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Yeah I knew you'd enjoy that. Thanks for confirming the weight, I'm glad I moved it a little further back on the deck as it was nose heavy! It is a little rough around the edges but its hard to find a nice example thats not big bucks.

Yeah I especially like the heavy duty LJXs with the exposed radiator and shell similar to the B-81SXs. Attached are two LJs I spotted at last years HCEA National Convention in RI. The second one (dump) is an LJX. It was a great show!

Attachments

Pinz25086

I had a 1950 LF a long time ago. It looked almost the same as a LJ. I believe that the major difference was the LF was a gasser. What are you going to do with the old girl? Always nice to see another old Mack being saved!

Wayne

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Deuce sure makes that Bulldog look sexy! Oh, behave, Baby! Yeah!!

Classy Mack you have there. And what a way to put that Deuce to work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks