• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack manufactured M54A2?

M1.30-'06

Did Mack ever manufacture M54 series 5 tonners? Did they make them as early as 1955? I have googled and searched here and cant find any definitive answers.

Thanks.

-Edit.. OK, after bit more digging I found some info that says Mack built the 54's starting in the early 50's, along with a few other manufacturers.

What should I excpect to pay for a good condition early M54A2 with a multifuel engine, no winch?

acetomatoco

Mack made the Continental Gas Powered M54 series as did IHC, Diamond T. Some were converted to M54A2s with government kits... The M54A1 series was Mack made and Mack ENDT673 Turbo Diesel Powered... I would not pay more than $3500 for a barebones model...extra for winch, hardtop, heater, new style power steering etc...

M1.30-'06

Is the rear axle spacing the same as the M813's? I'm wondering if I will be able to run 16R20 super singles fairly easily.

How do you tell the new power steering setup from the old style?

Thank you.

acetomatoco

for the PS question... there is a piston on the right side of the axle.. and usually a cutout in the lf fender support etc...

vietvet6972

Hi ,, yes mack did manufacture engines for m54a2,, we had one in our gun trk in danang,, much more pulling power than the multifuels,, every time a new or reconditioned 5 ton trac , came in the drivers in the convoys always hoped is was a mack,, engined tractor,, , some of the tractors with multifuels were so weak,, we had to put a bob tail behind the load to make it over the hai van pass and keep up with the rest of the convoy , and if one of the macks were deadlined ,, for major repairs,, and would have been sent out , we tryed to keep it ,, we were afraid of losing it just for the mack engine ,, so many were repaired at our own co shop just to keep them for their pulling power

No Mack ENDT-673 came in a M54A2 from the factory. That is what the A1(Mack Engine) or A2( Multifuel Engine) mean. You will never see a M35A1. Only M35's and A2's. The difference is not just the engine, but also the transmission as well. The Macks have the overdrive transmission due to the lower rpm's of the engine compared the the gas (R6602 and Multifuel). If the truck you had was truely a M54A2. Then some depot swapped the engine, transmission, changed the front motor mount, cut the frame rail on the right ahnd side, and changed the radiator and exhaust system. I have 5 tons with the R6602, Mack, Multifuel, and NHC250 cummins.

John

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You will never see a M35A1. Only M35's and A2's.
Isn't the M35A1 the LD427 model? Are you referring to their relative rarity (in today's market)?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
clinto said:
You will never see a M35A1. Only M35's and A2's.
Isn't the M35A1 the LD427 model? Are you referring to their relative rarity (in today's market)?
Close, the M35A1 is powered by the Continental LDS-427. The "A1, A2, etc, are very specific to the prefix (M35, M49, M54) etc - with no relationship whatsoever between the series.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

PS - I am 700 miles from home, so this is from memory (so don't bet the farm on this). Mack built a few hundred of the M54A1 trucks, and also had a government contract to repower several of the gas-powered trucks of various manufacturers.

HTH,
DD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks