• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack trucks in the arctic

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought "I'll watch a few minutes of this..."
I ended up watching 23.5 minutes!

Heckuva trip. "Many dogs".

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp thanks for posting this video it was rather amazing what those folks and equipment went through on a trip like this, it makes me think about my trucks and their ROUGH day is driving on a gravel road! That is pretty sad! Thanks again Gimp its a whole different world today than when this was filmed!
Karl

badgimp

Good history lesson! Wow, air starters on them things! lol so glad we don't use them now, but then again they have their advantages.

Artisan

That was fun...Kinda reminded me of grammer school and
VIDEO day that was always great in school... HA! Remember
when COLOR TV came out?

steelypip

I had always wondered how the bulk goods to build the DEW line stations got there. One look at a map of the line shows that essentially all of it was in the square, utter middle of northern nowhere. Presumably airdrops were adopted for smaller scale resupply as was done with the LORAN stations before they were automated. But getting the bulk equipment and supplies into the arctic in the late 1940s was not a small logistical problem. Nowadays we've got a lot more capability to airlift and a lot more capable offroad truck capability thanks mostly to arctic oil exploration.

Then they had custom-built Mack trucks, which seem to have done the job. I would like to see what they were plowing the road with, though...

[later]
I see they used big bulldozers, presumably either Cats or LeTourneaus. It seems, though, that the trucks could move a lot faster than the dozers could have broken trail...

Last edited: