• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made it home with my new 1009

seabee mike

the light was pulled from a civi blazer. I drilled a small hole where the switch is located and ran a fish tape to the hole then pulled the wire. then i ran it up the side to the switch hole and pulled the wire down to the bed. I run the wire down the bed then across to the door sill. under the sill and up behind the rubber to where the dash meets the the rubber. I then ran it to the front battery +. I had to pull a ground wire too but i run it to the nearest place to ground it.
It was quite easy.

seabee mike

Today I found a puddle of diesel under the engine. After a few minutes of looking i found a hose clamp was no longer tight. I had new fuel line on hand but I don't know how to bled the system yet.
My new Solargizars came in. I picked them up new for 25 each 5$ shipping. I added one to the blazer and one to the travel trailer.
I adjusted the belts so i did not have to listen to the squealing when the GP's are cycling.

seabee mike

I added new 33'' x 12.5 goodyear wrangler tires on. one sharp turn and i now have a hole in the rubber boot for the steering. How do i fix this to keep it happening again? i have a 4'' lift to put on still.

SPCHowe

This is a beautiful truck! After seeing the color you painted yours I'm think of going from green to tan myself. How did you restore your wheels if you don't mind me asking? Keep up the good work, you're giving me a lot of ideas for my new M1009.

big block 88

Very clean 1009 looks great noce restoration, only thing I see is the lower dash needs to be sand also:mrgreen:.

As for your boot issue are you talking about the boot on the axles knuckel? Or a steering component boot?

sorry just reread your post... On the boot if you can take a couple zip ties and just squeez it to a maller diameter the tires should clear?? You will have to see how hard the tires are hitting it. I am assumeing it is the tie rod end boot?

seabee mike

Thank you everyone. i just used spray on tire cleaner and the tires were like new. I was going to paint the inside but I like the green too. Black bumpers would look good too. The boot is the first one off the steering box. I was going to have the truck aligned to make sure that is correct first. If I still hit I may modify the steering box or the arm on the box. I may get away with a small spacer moving the box further away from the frame. moving it like a 1/4'' to the passenger side.

caladin

I added some custom badging to the new dash trim. Also added a power outlet in the ash tray. I added a light in the back with a flush switch right behind the drivers head. see the black dot in the top. I also added seat belt stand to replace the busted plastic that held them up.
How did you setup the poweroutlet? I assume you could get a 12volt at Napas but since we run 24v...

caladin

Today I found a puddle of diesel under the engine. After a few minutes of looking i found a hose clamp was no longer tight. I had new fuel line on hand but I don't know how to bled the system yet.
My new Solargizars came in. I picked them up new for 25 each 5$ shipping. I added one to the blazer and one to the travel trailer.
I adjusted the belts so i did not have to listen to the squealing when the GP's are cycling.

Did you get the Solargizrs from Ebay?

bevanet

I went with a 2.5" lift on mine, all with recurved springs (no blocks). It depends on what you want to do, but I drive on some side hills and really don't want to roll. The 2" adds enough height that I don't bottom the suspension, but still low enough that I don't worry much about rolling.

Boreal21

Not sure how I've missed this thread in the past... good lookin restoration :beer: I'll be following it more closely now to get some ideas for my 1009.

seabee mike

I pulled the power from the first battery. The first batt is 12v all you really need is to run the power and get the neg from the ashtray. The fuse box has a few blanks that are 12v too. You can just push a blade ( Male ) connector in the fuse blank to pull the power. And I did get the solargizers on e bay. 25$ ea new.

Last edited:

seabee mike

I wanted to add a few photos of how i ran the power to the light. and the seat belt holders. I used a 3/16 or so rod and bent it with a set of vice grips, hammer and a vice. I then just tacked it to the front seat base. I need to pinch them a little more cause they can come out . it was easy and they work. cost about 5$ to make

As for wiring the light . It was a pain to get my wire through the long shell. I had to use a wire puller like a snake, I pulled 2 wires , the hole was 3/4'' and I got the switch at a auto parts place. I run the 2 wires to the switch and then down to the hole in the shell. I grounded one wire there and then poked the other wire down the side where you can see it hanging lose / loose SP? I ran the wire right above where my finger is pointing, at the bend there is a small gap (full of dirt and other stuff) you will need to drill a hole there behind the rubber seal. I had to use a coat hanger to pull the wire through this small hole. then i ran the wire under the rubber to the sill and back up to the front plastic, then I used a circle end ( only kind I had at the point) and pushed it into a open blade hole. It was easy to do and it lights up the back really well.

Attachments

Last edited:

seabee mike

I added some music to the Blazer, i have a very small motorcycle amp to some 6x9 speakers that are bolted to my fender wells . I use my smart phone for the music. No need for a stereo in dash.

seabee mike

I just picked up some 3/8 steel rod, bent it into shape with vice grips and a hammer. I tack welded it in to place. I will get some photos in the morning. it is raining out right now.