• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made it to the Glacier!!!!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is VERY awesome, back in the 90s we went to a Jeep Jamboree way up north of Banff Canada up the Ice Fields Parkway and got to drive out on a couple glaciers those times and the color of that ice I will never forget!

McSpeed

Thanks guys. We got a lot of video. I was too busy today to edit. But the fellow that organized the ride made a great one. Link below. Now that we know how to get there I can go on my own. Will set up camp and spend the night.

The Humvee was perfect. Didn’t skip a beat. Rubbed the right rocket pretty hard and put some new scratches On it.

McSpeed

I am dropping the truck at a local welding shop and kicking in a large chunk of hard earned money to have the stock brush guard heavily modified. Will use square tubing. It will go up to tue lift hooks on the hood like the Predator grill guard. Should be able to bolt the Jack and other things to it and better protect the nose from minor collision. Running these trails have convinced me the value of the grill guard.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am dropping the truck at a local welding shop and kicking in a large chunk of hard earned money to have the stock brush guard heavily modified. Will use square tubing. It will go up to tue lift hooks on the hood like the Predator grill guard. Should be able to bolt the Jack and other things to it and better protect the nose from minor collision. Running these trails have convinced me the value of the grill guard.
Just buy Rubber Duck D-ring setup meant for H1's. It will work out cheaper and better. Search rubber duck 4x4

EDIT -

Last edited:

McSpeed

Just buy Rubber Duck D-ring setup meant for H1's. It will work out cheaper and better. Search rubber duck 4x4

EDIT -

I never heard of them before. That’s a nice guard. Looks like shipping to a residential outside of the lower 48 will hurt. My local welder is making a design out of square tubing. We sat down and talked about it. Since nothing on the truck is round. He will try to mimic the hood lines in square.

McSpeed

Due to shipping, delays, and other issues - I'm back to play A - to have a bar built. It won't be as elaborate - but should do the job. Dropped the truck off this morning. I also picked up a winch for it so we can build out a mount. Went with a SuperWinch 10K - I know people argue for 12 K - and if some is good - more is better. But, my truck is light weight and a winch should be 1.5 x the weight - so, 10K will work. For something I hope to never use. Plus, thanks to the world being on fire - getting a 12K wasn't going to work right now. The Superwinch has the longest warranty I could find - and it said made in USA- but now I think it was designed here...made you know where. A nice feature is a light built into the spool reel area - and it came with a wireless and wired remote. I also picked up some of those large ammo/smoke canister cans and mounted them in existing holes on the rear fenders to give me some more weather proof storage.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Due to shipping, delays, and other issues - I'm back to play A - to have a bar built. It won't be as elaborate - but should do the job. Dropped the truck off this morning. I also picked up a winch for it so we can build out a mount. Went with a SuperWinch 10K - I know people argue for 12 K - and if some is good - more is better. But, my truck is light weight and a winch should be 1.5 x the weight - so, 10K will work. For something I hope to never use. Plus, thanks to the world being on fire - getting a 12K wasn't going to work right now. The Superwinch has the longest warranty I could find - and it said made in USA- but now I think it was designed here...made you know where. A nice feature is a light built into the spool reel area - and it came with a wireless and wired remote. I also picked up some of those large ammo/smoke canister cans and mounted them in existing holes on the rear fenders to give me some more weather proof storage.
If the winch doesn't pull hard enough, simply add a snatch block and double the pull, at half the speed. No big deal, unless you're impatient.

McSpeed

If the winch doesn't pull hard enough, simply add a snatch block and double the pull, at half the speed. No big deal, unless you're impatient.
I think from what all I’ve read the snatch block is smart no matter what. better slow and out than not The instructions also talk about using a shock bundle. I need to figure out what that is and order one.

I may get a much lighter winch to just hook to the rear hitch. As a back up that I can Stowe easily and swap around.

local 4x4 place has the other things I need to get myself out of a bog.

Anyway drives me nuts leaving the truck at a shop. Not my style. But I don’t have the heavy duty welding and supply to metal right now.

McSpeed

I ended up making the brush guard out of all metal and scrap. And made my own winch mount.
The all metal holes will let me mount the Jack and shovels and stuff easily.
I cut the stock 3/8” upright supports then flipped them backwards to rake back. I dropped the side wings by 2.5” and leaned them back too.
Spent about $50 and had the steel laying around from my old solar panel mounts from my old house.

41FCD0C7-FBD9-485E-A6F3-E47A76323DE5.jpegD096650A-E2AD-4EE8-A9E7-B33B1EC739F2.jpeg02EE8ADF-166F-49C1-92F0-5DADD4DDB364.jpeg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m concerned about the McDonalds Golden Arches in the backround. The military seats are already too far forward, so if you start sucking down too many BigMacs with cheese you might no longer fit.
Just saying. LOL

Really nice work!

McSpeed

Update...I finally used the winch! Okay- not for the reason you'd expect, but to move a shed (10x12) in my backyard. If you don't have one, you have to get the pulley block. Between that and a tree...I back the truck into a crazy tight spot going down a steep hill and positioned the winch to make the pull. It worked like a charm. No smoke escaped from the wires or connections (this is a 12 volt winch).

Also - long time NO updates. I've been soooo busy putting an extension on my house garage and getting tied up in work I just haven't driven it or used it much. Since diesel prices shot off the chart...it is just sitting collecting dust!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks