• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made new mud flaps for LMTV

My wife and I made some nice new mud flaps for our LMTV. We tried to find good replacement flaps, but everything we found was either not the right size, or it was too expensive. Maybe others know a better replacement, but we opted to make a new set.

We ordered fiber reinforced exterior grade heavy duty conveyor belt material from McMaster Carr:

P/N: 6000K1
Materials: Styrene-butadiene Rubber (tire rubber)
Thickness: 0.270 in
Width: 24 in
Length: 6 ft

There is enough material in one strip of belt to make four flaps with some extra. The flaps ended up being about $27.5 each.

The material cuts fairly well with a sharp razor-blade for the straight cuts, but the rounded corners were easier on a band saw with a fine toothed blade. To cut the bolt holes though it, we just took a bit of 1/2" OD stainless steel tubing and put a sharp edge on it with a bench grinder and ran it in a hand drill. It cut very nice clean holes.

cutting-mud-flaps-2.jpg

cutting-mud-flaps-5.jpg

cutting-mud-flaps-6.jpg

cutting-mud-flaps-7.jpg

Bobcat701

Nice job, I wish I could get my wife interested in working on my LMTV. She has forgiven me for purchasing mine ever since we used it for two Eagle projects and she saw how much the scouts had ridding in it. Thanks for sharing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks