• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

made the bed swap in NYC this weekend

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, it about killed me and the Mrs. but we made it to NYC and back in one day for the big Mog bed swap. I hauled my 3000lb box on a 16' trailer right down into Queens, NY. You should have seen the looks on all their faces. We met the guy with the flat bed at his lumber yard. He was a real cool guy named Lou. He had hot coffee, bagels, and cannolis waiting on us when we got there. We used a BIG forklift to pick the box off of my trailer and put the flatbed onto mine. I got it all boomed down with chains and binders and we headed back out the BQE tp NJ. Lou had a cool 416 sitting on some way big XZLs. He is going to use the box to make a camper for the family. Now I just need to get the bed all sanded down, painted, and replace the plywood floor. Should be sweet. I'll post some pics of the big adventure soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even swap or did you get some operating capitol in the deal? Radio bed has to be worth more.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We traded even. My box wasn't in the best of shape. Had rust in the bottoms. Big dings and dents all over, hole in the roof which ruined all the ceiling tiles, etc... Basically, it needed a lot of rehab. I had it up for sale for a while and had no bites so I figured a trade was a good idea. Lou paid me well to haul it up to NYC too. I am just happy to be home in one piece. I don't know how those truckers haul in and out of that place every day. I guess you can get used to anything eventually.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's the pics y'all have been asking for [^]

Me booming everything down in the snow in Charleston

The truck/trailer at my inlaw's house at 3am sunday morning

View from the Verrezano Bridge

Making the lift at Lou's lumber yard

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Final pics from trip:

Leaving Staten Island

Lou's 416 Mog

I'll get some pics of the bed here at the house this weekend. I am going to hose the salt off of everything and get started mocking up the mounts.

vtunimog

That is one nice looking bed. They are few and hard to find. I bought two from Europe and they both needed new wood. It's a miserable job to replace the wood on a 404 Cargo (Pritsche) bed. So bad in fact I had to beg a carpenter friend to try and do it. He didn't care too much for it and I didn't care for the price.

Have fun and good luck with your new bed. You will feel like you have a rocket after hauling that ton of steel box around.

Chris M

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Chris. I am glad this one has the plywood floor instead of the planks. I am going to buy a couple sheets of exterior grade plywood and borrow my Dad's router for a weekend, when it finally warms up a little. It has a few little rust holes here and there, but nothing a wire-feed welder can't fix. I finally took the Mog for a drive without anything on the back. Man, what a difference. The engine felt strong, the brakes about threw me out of the cab, and it didn't wallow thru the corners of the road anymore. It's great!

1ton

Hey, steelsoldiers you have any pics of the 416. I love mogs with big tires. Is it just me, or does everthing in olive drab look better with XMLs?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I only have the two in the post above. I can email Lou and see if he has any more. It is going to be a sweet Mog when he gets done. He welded up a water tank out of stainless and put on an extra air tank. He is getting ready for body work on the cab and now thew box. He will be painting the whole thing desert sand when he gets finished. Nice[^]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks