• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Magnetic fire extinguisher mount

sed6

So I decided to outfit my truck with a 5lb fire extinguisher. Not sure if/where it would have been mounted when in service so I decided to improvise. I devised a simple mount made of wood and magnets. Best part is there lots of different places to mount it on an all metal truck. Hope you like!

Here it is on the heater box. I think this is the best location as it leaves the floor clear for feet or gear.

20160606_210157.jpg

20160606_210234.jpg

The winch control tower is a good spot if you're lucky enough to have one.

20160606_210516.jpg

20160606_210456.jpg

Proof of concept.

20160606_204748.jpg

I went with a Purple K (BC) extinguisher since that's what the truck would have been issued with. Got the extinguisher for $60, the heavy duty bracket for $20 and the magnets for $20, all from Amazon.

20160606_204140.jpg

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the bracket you built! :goodjob: Did you use the 75 lb capacity magnets from Harbor Freight?

sed6

I'd strap that down somehow. If you get into an accident or hit something, that will become a projectile.
Nah, the inside of most vehicles are full of projectiles anyway; cooler, tools, chains, whatnot.

I like the bracket you built! :goodjob: Did you use the 75 lb capacity magnets from Harbor Freight?
Thanks! No, didn't think about HF for the magnets, wish I had! They are 25#er's from Amazon.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I buy these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-2-magnetic-decor-hooks-65528.html
They are 65 lb magnets (not 75 lbs). I bought a bunch of them to mount stuff in my M1009. It takes about 5 minutes to drill out the hook.
I made magnetic mounts for:
two 12 volt automotive fans
my dual band amateur radio mount/bracket
external speaker mount for my amateur radio
3 cup holders made out of 2" galvanized conduit and 4 outlet box covers

I have made numerous panic stops, and my magnetic bases have held strong every time. :)

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I decided to outfit my truck with a 5lb fire extinguisher. Not sure if/where it would have been mounted when in service so I decided to improvise. I devised a simple mount made of wood and magnets. Best part is there lots of different places to mount it on an all metal truck. Hope you like!

Here it is on the heater box. I think this is the best location as it leaves the floor clear for feet or gear.

View attachment 626984

View attachment 626985

The winch control tower is a good spot if you're lucky enough to have one.

View attachment 626986

View attachment 626987

Proof of concept.

View attachment 626988

I went with a Purple K (BC) extinguisher since that's what the truck would have been issued with. Got the extinguisher for $60, the heavy duty bracket for $20 and the magnets for $20, all from Amazon.

View attachment 626989
So is a 5lber a OEM size?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks