• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maintainance.

Ugg013

Hi All:

Now it's been over 30 years since I messed with a deuce, so I've forgotten a few things. After our little adventure (other tread) in the Frog, I want to do some maintainance, like change the earl and grease it up. I have the multi-fuel Herc engine (non-turbo) and need to know what type to use (BTW, it was rebuilt in 94 and only has 1300 miles since). Like do I need diesel earl? What kind and weight? Is there a civilian conversion for the filter? These days I'm unable to do crawling under and over like I used to do, so I brought the Frog into a local shop for these things, and when they asked me these questions, all I could say was DUHHHH. :?

TIA
Ugg

Armada

I use 15-40 weight Shell Rotella 'earl' in my Herc. $35 for a 5 gallon pail at the local farm supply store. I also put in a quart of Lucas 'earl' treatment to help keep a film on surfaces during start-up.

Jones

I'm a Chevron Delo fan myself. 15-40w seems to be a good all 'round weight. Lucas is a good additive as is PowerPunch; which is also the same brand I use for their gear oil additives.
Happy deucing.

CGarbee

I have a fondness for Castrol's Agri-Max 15w40... Cost about a buck less a gallon than the Rotella at my local Agri Supply, exceeds the same slew of performance specifications (as does thier on-highway 15w40 sold at the heavy truck shop down the street), but has an additive package designed for engines that are run hard for a period of time, then sit idle for an extended period, then are run hard for a time... Just like my truck that sits for a week or so, then gets to run hard on a five hour trip down to pick up some stuff, then back the same day for several days one week, then sits idle for a couple weeks...

Ugg013

Boy, What Fun!

It seems that I have to post twice to get one reply. :cry: I'll try again and hopefully it'll work this time. Does anybody have the #'s for the gaskets for the WIX oil filters? I tried doing a search, but things aren't cooperating . :(

Later
Ugg

red devils dude

look at my post
engine oil filter Fleetguard LF509N, WIX 51133, AC Delco PF-889, Donaldson P550132, NAPA Gold 1133

Does anybody have the #'s for the gaskets for the WIX oil filters---gaskets???

Ugg013

Jed:

Yep, them's the animules alrighty. I was talking with Longhunter and he wasn't sure if the correct gaskets came with the WIX filters (or most of the non-military aftermarket ones). As a matter of fact, he was pretty sure they didn't.

Thanks
Ugg

Wyattearp

i changed the oil filters on my non turbo(which has the hole in it now) before the crank broke, to the best of my knowledge the Napa Gold 1133 gasket works in the oil canister... cause i just replaced filter and gasket, i actually have some in the basement but right now don't have the time to check on it, will this evening.. But if RDD can check his hopefully that will confirm either yes or no on the gasket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks