• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

maintenance cost?

10mm fan

If I start off with a deuce in good mechanical condition (no leaks or problems) how long can I expect it to stay in good order before stuff starts breaking down?

Routine maintenance included, how expensive are they to keep running? How about when you add in light to moderate offroading?

thanks,

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuces are really very cheap to maintain. Parts are usually inexpensive. Things like oil ect. will add up just because they hold so much. The biggest thing i've seen is spending money because you want to upgrade something (like adding a winch or lockouts ect). If you start offroading you will sooner or later be breaking parts.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just beat the crap out of mine for 4 days and will only incour(sp?) gear oil for the axles and re-packing the wheel bearings(if they need it). Oh yeah, 8 hrs of pressure washing.

bassetdeuce

The biggest issue by far is to have a good place to work on it. NO HOA! Some good large toolkits, large 100% duty cycle air compressor w/ good airguns. A lift is sweet, but not essential. Pry bars, chain hoists, breaker bars, large jacks n stands etc.. Think big, but deuces are not unmanageable. The best thing about them is they will go a good distance while messed up, and will get you home. Long distance recoveries often prove this.:-D

littlebob

How many miles a year? If just use it for short local trips and don't do too many road trips you can probably go a long way with just normal Preventative Maint on when that is in great shape when you start. If you plan on off-roading without doing proper maintenance afterward, you can probably
open yourself to problems that will need $$. The parts are really reasonable if you shop around, you just don't want to have to buy a bunch at one time if it isn't pristine as you Imagine.

10mm fan

Sounds good, thanks for all the replys. I really like the fact they will get you home, even if messed up.
I would like to drive it 10,000-15,000 miles a year. I take the bikes out to places that are up to 250 miles from the house. I would like to be able to take the deuce if reliability is not a problem.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Roll the Dice , you might get a primo chrry truck and a week later something starts leaking. No way to tell how long a old truck will go before something needs adjusting or replacing.

comanderfritz

pretty cheap... ive spent most on oil, fuel, and upgrades. i had a flat tire for instance that had a twisted inner tube so $120 later i have a whole new wheel, just an example.

roscoe

I've driven mine about 1000 miles since picking it up at the GL lot. Only problems so far have been a speedometer that quit working and a horn that wouldn't. Got a new speedometer cable ordered. Horn I havn't taken the time to find the problem yet.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts aren't that expensive but it can be time consuming keeping it in good shape. Like bulldog said, Anything can happen on a 30+ old truck. All in all they are pretty reliable though.

Michael

I have one I can't seem to keep on the road. First it was a leaking wheel cylinder, then the turn light flasher, then pumping fuel in the oil. I don't have a lot of free time to work on it and it takes weeks to get the heavens aligned (time off to work on it, weather permitting to do it, part in hand to fix it). Only the last thing has completely dead lined it though. I did the FDC bypass and that didn't fix it.

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

I am new to the duece. I have owned mine since Sept 2008, and been working on it with a lot of help from No. 2 Diesel.
I thought it would be more of a chore to maintain and use, but I am pleasantly suprised.
It needs PM like all other vehicles, and if you do like me and change all the filters to the Spin on type, you can expect to pay about $90 year to replace filters and then whatever the Oil costs to replace. This is of course if your motor needs no other work done. My truck's Continental motor was re-built in 1986, and seems to have been well cared for. No leaks other than the occasional weaping around a few different seals but nothing that needs attention.

From what I can tell, all my brakes were replaced, along with the wheel cylinders so that is a major labor intensive project that didn't need to be addressed.
I think if the motor is in good shape, along with your belts hoses and clean fresh anti-freeze, you will only need to worry about the occasional bearing regreasing and or seal replacement on the wheels.

I did a much more thorough restoration however, so my expenses initially were quite a bit more expensive. Body work, paint, parts replacements, and just making it look more new cost some, but now, it needs nothing more than simple PM. It is fun to drive, and for the price since there are so many right now, it's kind of like the 1960's Jeeps that were all over as surplus.

Do yourself one favor...
A lot of research so you can find exactly what you want in the truck.
Soft top?
winch?
single vs duals?
heater/defroster?

It then allows you to get something you want and not spend extra money to make a truck into something you want.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Jay, it can be a roll of the dice.

I picked up my first m35 and drove it for years, infact drove it 1300 mile round trip a month after I got it to Aberdeen. I had to replace the alternator, and the horn wire. Other than that, just changed the fluids.

But once you go through your truck and fix the small stuff, it can last a long time. Just don't treat her rough and she will be kind to you.

SEAFIRE

Our two deuces are run hard, through rough terrain, sometimes for over 24hrs straight.

Our costs so far in 2009, 42 grass fires, over 6,000 acres.

Oil, fuel, & air filters $313.56
Replace broken taillights on both trucks w/ LED’s $337.80
Gasket for oil regulator $57.16
Tranny Parts $537.47
Machine shop $105.76

Towing for brush truck $190.00
Bushings for torque arms, both trucks $1900.00
Eight 9.00 x 20 tires $312.00
Brake rebuild kit $410.00
Clutch $175.00

10mm fan

I am new to the duece. I have owned mine since Sept 2008, and been working on it with a lot of help from No. 2 Diesel.
I thought it would be more of a chore to maintain and use, but I am pleasantly suprised.
It needs PM like all other vehicles, and if you do like me and change all the filters to the Spin on type, you can expect to pay about $90 year to replace filters and then whatever the Oil costs to replace. This is of course if your motor needs no other work done. My truck's Continental motor was re-built in 1986, and seems to have been well cared for. No leaks other than the occasional weaping around a few different seals but nothing that needs attention.

From what I can tell, all my brakes were replaced, along with the wheel cylinders so that is a major labor intensive project that didn't need to be addressed.
I think if the motor is in good shape, along with your belts hoses and clean fresh anti-freeze, you will only need to worry about the occasional bearing regreasing and or seal replacement on the wheels.

I did a much more thorough restoration however, so my expenses initially were quite a bit more expensive. Body work, paint, parts replacements, and just making it look more new cost some, but now, it needs nothing more than simple PM. It is fun to drive, and for the price since there are so many right now, it's kind of like the 1960's Jeeps that were all over as surplus.

Do yourself one favor...
A lot of research so you can find exactly what you want in the truck.
Soft top?
winch?
single vs duals?
heater/defroster?

It then allows you to get something you want and not spend extra money to make a truck into something you want.

Interesting...
I was planning on getting a basic truck in good running shape. Playing with it for a while to make sure it is something I can commit to. Then if so, upgrading it later on with what I want.
Now I will have to rethink my plans.