• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maintenance - it never ends..........

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few weeks ago I finished up a clutch change and rear main seal replacement fixing a lot off little stuff along the way. Then I did my annual spring oil change and pressure washed the engine. I noticed the passenger side front axle boot small clamp had come off - again. We were able to clean it up and get it reinstalled without too much difficulty. After everything is super clean I used some rubber cement to hold it in place while we got the clamp on.

Then I took the time to install the new 11.00 x 20's I got from Hundy on the front axle. Always fun building tires. I managed to paint the rims, build up both tires and install them before my buddies were able to swap brake pads on a mini van. Even though they interrupted me often for advice and tools.

With everything clean I was able to pinpoint the other leak. It's the front crankshaft seal. I ordered the seal and since the radiator has to come out and mine has a hole in it that the gov repaired, I decided we will swap in the spare I got from Hundy. And, since we are going to work on the cooling system I might as well install the fresh set of hoses I got from Will Wagner a couple years ago. So I ordered gaskets for the water manifolds as well.

Today I went up to Hundy's to buy a spare engine from Silverstate. After getting it home and looking it over I noticed the engine mounted starter solenoid (the one mounted to the block behind the air filter) still had the cables connected to it. Mine fried in July 2010 so I bypassed it. I bought a new one, but since the cables were melted and it's a PITA to change, I left it as is. Until today. I pulled the air cleaner and solenoid and got it hooked back up correctly. That's when I noticed two leaking freeze plugs.

Luckily they are the easiest to get to so the next job will be to swap radiators, change hoses, replace the front crank seal and to swap in two new freeze plugs. Probably a good time to add a coolant filter to.

It just never ends. And now I need to build a dolly for my spare engine and find out why the oil pan is full of fuel.

What happens when you get a leak free deuce?

Oh and whoever said these trucks were cheap to buy and expensive to maintain was a smart dude. With parts and consumables, I've spent over 1500 in the last 30 days. I spent 1390 with tax and buyers premium to buy the truck. Crazy.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What happens when you get a leak free deuce?
Pigs fly, the Middle East has peace, the Unicorns appear, etc.

rrrr

I know what you mean. It never ends. I've had my deuce for over 2 years now and I'm still fixing things. Like you I try to keep on top of things and repair before breaking. Stay with it. It will get better as the big repairs get done. Then you can work on getting cool stuff installed like gun mounts etc.

Attachments

Scarecrow1

You guys make me feel sooo bad . I just go out to try and find things wrong on my 5 ton just so I can play with it :) OK So once and a while I do but, most of the time I just ride and grin about it. I drove my step-son to a paint ball party Saturday and almost had to stay the whole time just answering questions and talking to the other dads about the truck. 40 Miles round trip but all and all it was a great day.......

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doug I hope that engine provides you with many pleasant surprises! It was great meeting you & your "Soldier B" (your son).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
main·te·nance /ˈmānt(ə)nəns/

Noun

1. The process of maintaining or preserving someone or something, or the state of being maintained
  2. The process of keeping something in good condition: "car maintenance"; "essential maintenance work".

Synonyms
upkeep - keeping - support - sustenance - preservation

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your not maintaining it, your neglecting it.

Scarecrow1

If I speed more time working on just maintenance than enjoying driving it the it's time to sell it and find another hobby, These aren't helicopters you shouldn't be spending 4 hours working on it for every 1 you fly. So long as it is serviced like I do my cars and motor cycle it should be fine. I did a quick calculation and since I have brought the truck home in December I have not driven it over one hundred & twenty miles. Beside a few up grades and minor body work I don't even get to see it since it's being store on a R.V. yard. I understand the need for preventative maintenance but, if it is a money pit then I couldn't enjoy it nearly as much . Having said this I still love my truck :)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I speed more time working on just maintenance than enjoying driving it the it's time to sell it and find another hobby, These aren't helicopters you shouldn't be spending 4 hours working on it for every 1 you fly. So long as it is serviced like I do my cars and motor cycle it should be fine. I did a quick calculation and since I have brought the truck home in December I have not driven it over one hundred & twenty miles. Beside a few up grades and minor body work I don't even get to see it since it's being store on a R.V. yard. I understand the need for preventative maintenance but, if it is a money pit then I couldn't enjoy it nearly as much . Having said this I still love my truck :)
I love fixing stuff. That's a good chunk of the enjoyment I get from the hobby. And teaching soldier B.

DieselBob

:ditto: That's what got me into the mv hobby. I am a mechanic at heart and just wanted something I could wrench on and didn't need a computer and hundreds of dollars in software to work on. I enjoy the shear act of diagnosing a problem and effecting a repair more than just riding around town in the truck but to each their own and what you have fun doing.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: That's what got me into the mv hobby. I am a mechanic at heart and just wanted something I could wrench on and didn't need a computer and hundreds of dollars in software to work on. I enjoy the shear act of diagnosing a problem and effecting a repair more than just riding around town in the truck but to each their own and what you have fun doing.
I also like to b*tch and moan about it as another hobby. :)

welldigger

Just park on gravel like I do. Then you don't notice the leaks so much. Speaking of never ending maintenance I found that crack in my new to me a3 wheel.....just to find one of my front ndc's flat. To pour salt in the wound my spare also has a bad tube. So now I get to have 2 tubes replaced while I'm in the process of upgrading to singles. Ah the joys of a deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks