• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major engine oil leak

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took about a 30 mile drive in the deuce today. When I got home I walked around to the passenger side and noticed oil splattered on the step. Upon further investigation the axle and front of the oil pan is covered in engine oil. My first thought was the front seal but when I looked closer the balancer is pretty dry. I'm thinking if it was the front seal the balancer would be covered also. Now I'm wondering if it's the oil pan.

My question is, is it common for the oil pan to just start dumping oil all of a sudden? I've never seen a oil pan gasket to just let go all of a sudden. I tried to tighten the front oil pan bolts and did turn them a little but they were fairly tight. I'm just trying to figure out where I'm loosing all this oil.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp, top of the engine is dry as a bone. The best I can tell it's coming from the front oil pan bolts. I haven't ruled out the front seal but I'm leaning toward the oil pan (plus it's easier to install a oil pan gasket than it is to install a front seal).

paulfarber

Check your fluid levels.. the low one is probably it. There are a couple things that can source oil on the passenger side:

slobber tube (engine oil)
Axle vent (gear oil)
The brake master cylinder and air pack vents are routed up the left side (but may have been changed)
Knuckle boot

There are only 5 fluids in the truck:

Engine oil
Gear oil
diesel fuel
brake fluid
coolant

Its gotta be one of those.

jwright

I going to say its the front main. Did my last summer, did the same thing thought it was an oil pan gasket. It would only dump oil at a high rpm. Replaced it and it has never leaked again.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's engine oil for sure. front, top of oil pan is covered in oil. The only thing that could be up in that area is oil or coolant.

Jwright, Did the balancer have oil on it when you're seal went out? That's the only thing that has me puzzled. Seems to me if it was the seal it would throw oil all over the balancer.

Flyingvan911

How is your oil level? Do you have the manifold heater? My manifold heater nozzle got stuck and dumped about 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of diesel in my crankcase. It thinned the oil just enough for it to leak and make a small mess. I unhooked the heater nozzle and changed the oil and the leak is gone. Atleast I have a clean crankcase!

jwright

I do not think it did . I was thinking the same as you , there should be oil on it. I think that because its spins so fast that it slings it all off. It was when it was running down the road at high rpm is when it would leak. I had it running in the driveway for 30min and not a drop, go for a drive and come back with a mess

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not think it did . I was thinking the same as you , there should be oil on it. I think that because its spins so fast that it slings it all off. It was when it was running down the road at high rpm is when it would leak. I had it running in the driveway for 30min and not a drop, go for a drive and come back with a mess
That sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the seal. How hard was it? I just got the winch put on it and I'm hoping I can get to it without pulling it off.

The flame heater has been disconnected. The engine is spotless from the oil pan up. It's coming from the lower end. Checked the dipstick and oil was a little low but not enough to have to add any. I don't think I'll losing all that much oil but as we all know, you can take a teaspoon of oil and make a big mess. It's more than just a "seep" though.

jwright

I had it tore down in an hour, you have to pull the grill guard then the radiator, while its out better have it checked out, put a new upper and lower radiator hose, its also a great time to put a new hose that is on the driver side going to the oil cooler, belts if it needs it. The seal is about $28. A little over 2 hr put back together

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To beat all I just had the radiator out also (replaced water pump and all hoses).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure it's completely stopped but for some reason it's slowed way down (yes, I've checked the oil level). I've kind of put it lower on the "to do" list since it's not leaking as bad. It's still damp toward the front of the oil pan but it's not blowing it all under the truck anymore.

RIDDLE1

I'm not sure it's completely stopped but for some reason it's slowed way down (yes, I've checked the oil level). I've kind of put it lower on the "to do" list since it's not leaking as bad. It's still damp toward the front of the oil pan but it's not blowing it all under the truck anymore.
Well that's great! I wish mine would do that!

3dAngus

Might be temporary before the big bang. I would be careful with it until repaired properly. You could be going down the road and it could open up at any time. Keep us informed. It's the kinda thing we would all want to know. Good luck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will definitely get it fixed before going on a long trip. For now it seems to be holding up driving local.

deathrowdave

Need to check fluid levels (OIL) . My fuel heater was leaking through and adding fuel to the crankcase thinning out oil causing major oil leaks. Fixed the heater nozzle and changed oil and filters , NO MORE unnecessary OIL SLINGING !!! Just a thought , have a great and safe day,Dave :driver:

RIDDLE1

Need to check fluid levels (OIL) . My fuel heater was leaking through and adding fuel to the crankcase thinning out oil causing major oil leaks. Fixed the heater nozzle and changed oil and filters , NO MORE unnecessary OIL SLINGING !!! Just a thought , have a great and safe day,Dave :driver:
I know this is a dumb question, but where is the fuel heater located so that I can check it, or just disconnect it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks