• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major problem with tag and title.

jwaller

docfarmall said:
In Indiana they run the numbers checked to see that its not stolen then issued the tag. bill of sale was all i had.
this is exactly what I did too (first time around) and until I handed them the title from the previous owner I was fine. when they tried to get the title changed into my name is when the problem started.

ida34

I think some people are missing the fact that you already had a title. A title service will not help you. They have just decided not to register your vehicle. The only way around it is to go the assembled vehicle route and get a state issued vin. If the inspector is doing his job correctly he or she will ask to see receipts for all the major components. When you get down to it you do not have an assembled vehicle but it is worth a try. Good luck with it.

undysworld

Hey JWaller,

Are you aware that the Wisconsin DOT is refusing to register ex-military vehicles on the basis of being off road? Search "wisdot" in this forum and find lots of postings.

Here's the Wis. Statute they've used, 341.10(6) http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0341.pdf

It was meant to apply to "mini-bikes, go-carts, and all-terrain vehicles", as clarified in the Wisconsin Administrative Code.

Here's a link to a NHTSA letter of interpretation that's important to you. http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/gm/94/nht94-1.78.html

The end of the second paragraph states that the US military can sell surplus vehicles to the public without the need to modify the vehicle to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) (NMVSS) requirements. Why that matters is that those FMVSS requirements ONLY APPLY TO ON-ROAD VEHICLES. No FMVSS requirements apply to off-road vehicles. There would be no reason for NHTSA to even mention FMVSS requirements if the vehicles were to be used off-road. The fact that NHTSA mentions the exemption is clear indication that NHTSA expects and intends such vehicles to be licensed for on road use.

While the responsibility for licensing vehicles rests entirely with the individual state, there is a direct correlation:

In 1966, President Johnson signed into law the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and the Highway Safety Act. These acts placed the federal government in the leadership role of a comprehensive national program to reduce the number of injuries and deaths on America's highways. To provide coordination and guidance for highway safety programs at the state level, each state created a highway safety agency, whose programs were to be in accordance with Federal standards and must be approved by the Secretary of Transportation. [Highway Safety Act of 1966]

In the interest of highway safety, state Departments of Transportation generally recognize NHTSA authority when deciding which motor vehicles are acceptable to register and operate on-road.

Good luck in your efforts, and if I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me directly.

Paul Underwood

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks