• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major Rear Axle Leak

renovate7

I just received this A2C. I changed the oil in all 3 diffs. and cleaned all the axle vents. I drove the truck about 100' to this spot to repaint it. I came out to find this leak. I had filled the diffs with 1.5 gallons which took it to the edge of the fill hole. I'm going to remove a quart or so to get it about 1/2" below the hole. I have new seals on order and going to pull it down and repack the bearings and put in the new seals. It wasn't noticibly leaking when I received it. Any thoughts on why such a big leak?

Attachments

hoop

Maybe you should have done a little bit of research, the full mark is 2 knuckles. Which is about 1" below the hole.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or it could have been leaking before you got it, and was too low to leak. My sense is too much oil.

zeisshensoldt

I don't think it's too much oil. I just redid all my seals on the front axle and filled it with 1.5 gallons of 80w90 and it doesn't leak. Probably a bad seal.

Last edited:

Clay James

Vents. I replaced my seals and repacked the bearings a few times and the vents built up enough pressure to make them leak. I cleaned the vents out but it still leaked. They can even build up pressure just sitting there. I replaced all the vents with remote breather lines and no leaks so far, at least not related to vent issues.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Vents. I replaced my seals and repacked the bearings a few times and the vents built up enough pressure to make them leak. I cleaned the vents out but it still leaked. They can even build up pressure just sitting there. I replaced all the vents with remote breather lines and no leaks so far, at least not related to vent issues.
Thank You for posting this, some of us have been PREACHING this mod for years, besides the axle, the trans, xcase, M/C, and ANYTHING else that uses these vents, needs the vents done away with

renovate7

I cleaned all the vents when I repaced the oil. The truck hasn't moved 100' since doing this. The 1.5 gallons is what the book calls for and won't over flow the fill hole. I'm guessing I have a really bad seal and was also low on oil. I did have the right side of the truck jacked up and that may have put a lot of oil in this axle tube...My immediate problem is I have 3 of the bud nuts that won't come off. I have a 900ft/lb gun and it won't budge them. I think I'm going to take out a quart, or two, and drive this to a local truck center to get them to loosen the nuts. I ordered new seals today and should have them this week. I've done an extensive search and read all the threads and more importantly looked at all the pics. Haven't done one of these seals yet, a new learning opportunity presents itself.

DieselBob

Not a hard job to do. Just take your time and remember everything is heavy and really hurts if you drop it on your foot.

My immediate problem is I have 3 of the bud nuts that won't come off. I have a 900ft/lb gun and it won't budge them.
Sounds like you need to get a geared lug wrench for just such an occasion.

mattg2448

Just got done doing axle seals on my truck, it was a breeze! Make sure you have the appropriate tools, for instance a 8 point 3" axle socket, which i had to wait 3 days for it to come in on order. Other than that, its a 1.5 - 3 hour job!

Bought an inner axle seal from Saturn Surplus, and Cork key way seals from Memphis Equipment, everything worked out great until i needed the socket.

I should go through, remove all my vents, make them fording lines, and redo all my seals and gaskets.

TIGERFANS2

I cleaned all the vents when I repaced the oil. The truck hasn't moved 100' since doing this. The 1.5 gallons is what the book calls for and won't over flow the fill hole. I'm guessing I have a really bad seal and was also low on oil. I did have the right side of the truck jacked up and that may have put a lot of oil in this axle tube...My immediate problem is I have 3 of the bud nuts that won't come off. I have a 900ft/lb gun and it won't budge them. I think I'm going to take out a quart, or two, and drive this to a local truck center to get them to loosen the nuts. I ordered new seals today and should have them this week. I've done an extensive search and read all the threads and more importantly looked at all the pics. Haven't done one of these seals yet, a new learning opportunity presents itself.

1) Go outside, do not pass go, do not collect 200 bucks, take out the axle vent and replace with a barbed fitting. Westlake sells 'em as do others. Westlake also sells cork sheets.

Seriously, do this. (Ask me why I'm so adamant about this :x)

2) go to lowes, home depot, wherever, buy a 2X3 (4?) piece of 3/4" plywood, several pre-cut pieces of sched. 40, 1/2" pvc, take the duals off together

Seriously, do this.

Or not.

cbvet

Okay, regarding spindle nut socket:

I forgot that the spindle nut is octagonal, & yes has 8 "points".
But that is properly referred to as an "octagonal" socket.
Sockets properly called 8 point, are for square nuts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks