• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a Deuce a (better) highway vehicle?

Trango

The drums are not the main issue IMO with the brakes - the big concern is the single circuit. There isn't a ton of flow or pressure from the stock master, and if you lose one brake cylinder or get one leak, you experience total brake failure.

The drums are well sized for the deuce. 13k lbs, and 6 big drums, with plenty of heat dissipation. Remember - 5 ton trucks run not too dissimilar drums, and are 50% heavier.

This is coming from a guy who has installed two Rockwell front axle disk kits, no stranger to disking these brakes (and one rear homebrew disk brake system as well).

tm america

i agree i would get rid of the single circuit system too . the lack of stopping power is due to the drum brakes not a lack of line pressure. also drum brakes are not self cleaning and require constant adjusting .i dont know the size of 5 ton brakes but i know the drums on a deuce are not much bigger than the rear brakes used on a 1 ton van .i think the brakes on a 5 ton are much wider than the deuce brakes .are they not :roll:does anyone know the sizes of the both of them

does anybody know if the ford L9000 rockwell axles are the same as those on a deuce .because they have 3.9 axle ratio .that should give you a nice crusing speed with 1100 /20 tires. anybody know ofhand how fast 2000 rpm would be? found it 43 in tires 65.6 mph at 2000 ...82 mph at 2500 rpm

Last edited:

tm america

no those are a front load thru shaft air brake axle on the l9000 they are alot bigger than the deuce axles .a multifuel doesnt have enough torque to push that low of a ratio . you would be sadly let down . those are for trucks with 2000ft lb of torque not trucks with 300ft lb of torque

tm america

if you put those rear ends in the back what are you gonna do for the front ?are you gonna lose the all wheel drive .if you're gonna do that you might as well just start with a different truck .why not just get a l9000.

tm america

there are only 3 ratios availible for the rockwells used in the deuce.stock 6.72 .there is a 4.90 and a 5.40 availible.rockwell makes probably around 40 different diffs and different types .marmon harrington can make you a front to go with anything but it will cost you big loot.i believe the deuce uses a rockwell 240 .gearhard gets 2200 per gear set for the 4.90s and the 5.40s are aroung 1200 per set so 4.90s =6600 bucks and 5.40s= 3600 bucks to do all three diffs:driver:

i guess i better start saving my pennies.. thanks , i wonder how long it would take to make 6600 in gas milage savings lol .6600 is about 1500 gallons here. i just found some on the net, ouverson engeneering 4.9 gear set.1200 each, still lots but better 1000 ea for 5.40

Last edited:

tm america

ya i think i had the price flipped one set is 2200 each the other is 1200..i need some 7.20 gears for my deuce .then i would have a top speed of around 65 and be able to take off in second a little better.or even some 7.50 gears would put me at around 62 for a top speed and that would make me very happy:smile:

tm america

15.5s they are 46 inches tall. i would rather lose a couple mph and gain better accelleration . besides the speed limit is 65 in most places anywayaua

well i have been doing a bit of math 6.72 rear, overdrive .79 like some ppl put in 2000rpm 43 in tires equals 48 mph ...4.9 rear 1 to 1 high gear at 2000 rpm equals 52 mph .( 7.5 rear end 1to1 high gear 2000rpm equals 36.5 mph) if the gears ever get cheaper it will be like od. in low range if your trans has a 5.13 first you will be doing 5 mph at 2000 rpm ... if your trans is 7.55 you will be doing 3.5 mph at 2000 rpm with the 4.9 gears. if it will pull with od in it it will pull with the 4.9 gears. if 4th gear is 1.46 then 2500 rpm is 45 mph

Last edited:

tm america

you need to do the math with the 3053 most guys have that trans only gassers had the 3052. my truck will do 69mph with the 46inch tall tires and the 3053trans if i had a 3052 trans my top speed would be around 53. which is slower than it would do stock with 9.00s.the 3052 is to low of a ratio for the tires i'm running and the 3053 isnt enough.i wish someone made a set of input gears for the 3052 that were a little less ratio. or if someone made higher ratios for the diffs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks