• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a fording kit

devilman96

Lax... In digging through some PN's and using what houdel posted for the intake here is your stack PN's (with some options)... One thing I didn't agree with is the exhaust elbows on an intake since you need them 100% sealed and water proof... Silicone, welding, etc are options but I would prefer rubber myself.

Rubber 4"X4" 90 degree intake elbows Napa PN 36171... you would need 2 at 15.49ea

4" X 60" OD - OD Aluminumized exhaust tubing Napa PN 45339 This would "work" but would not be the best thing if the job. 1 at 53.99ea
Or....
4" X 10' OD - OD Aluminum intake tubing Napa PN 49200.... Better choice between the two tubes. 1 at 114.90ea
Or...
You could prolly sub PVC for this but.. Err.. I dont know if I like that idea and I dont know if the elbows would fit it...

4" Stainless clamps for 90 degree elbows Napa PN 36204... You would need at least 4... 5 if you want to change your cap clamp to match at 5.99ea..

4" Stainless flat clamp (wide exhaust clamp) Napa PN 33961... Intended for fabbing a mounting bracket to your exhaust bracket 1 at 9.14ea

Everything was "S" class (special order) from my local store so I would assume most places would be the same and pricing would vary pending locations and such...

I will work on the internal PN's as i have time...

rmgill

I went to a truck parts store on memorial drive, they had the exhaust tubing elbow that fit to change the mushroom angle to horizontal (upright). Walked in with the mushroom and walked out with the right bit of tubing to match. Presumably they'd have the other bits too.

Thinking on it, a dab of silicone around the fittings would be a good idea to make sure they're well sealed.

jwboing

I just got a deuce and first day had to take it thru 4 feet of water for about 50 yards. Right now it is blocked up with rising water headed to the floorboards. I wanted to get on that list of guys who would buy a fording kit if anyone ever started fabricating them! If I can't find one I will try to follow some of the directions here, thanks for the details!

davidb56

In the old days, those of us that owned Heaps, (jeeps) would put thinner axle seals in back to back to keep the water out and the gear oil in. Renting a drum puller for the tapered axle was a pain in the .

rustystud

In the old days, those of us that owned Heaps, (jeeps) would put thinner axle seals in back to back to keep the water out and the gear oil in. Renting a drum puller for the tapered axle was a pain in the .
In the 1950's the Military used "Double lip Seals" in all their transmissions and differentials. The lip seals faced both inward and outward. I used to rebuild these old gears in the 1980's when I worked at "Ben's Truck Parts" in Seattle. They sold military surplus and other automotive products. Even then the seals where no longer available, so we improvised by installing two thinner seals in their place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks