• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a fuel tank?

Keith_J

I have an older MEP-026A that came without a fuel tank, I fixed the carburetor and it runs fine off remote tank, just have a few other issues to work through like exhaust manifold leaking and needs a good PMCS Monday. All the other parts are sourced, I just cannot find a fuel tank.

So, I took some measurements and am thinking of making one from aluminum. I'm pretty good at GTAW of aluminum, especially new stuff that is clean.

Would it be crazy to make my own tank? Or should I just run it off remote? Mind you, this is a 28 volt DC generator, most suitable for jump starting and charging military equipment. I plan to use it as an APU for my M1031 SECM to power my home brew 28 volt DC air conditioning system.

tim292stro

Can't you just run it off a 5-gallon jerry-can? If you plan to use it with the M1031, you should be able to use similar plumbing for an arctic cargo heater to fuel that genny, and would allow you to plug in a 5-gallon can for field jobs.

I think the 5-gallon Scepter fuel tanks have a fuel fitting cap that has supply and return lines plus a vent.

Chrispyny

if your good at welding aluminum man go for it! i know guys here that make custom fuel tanks all the time.
Exactly.

Man i wish i had a tig machine. I would have made a custom tank for my mep-002a by now. I want a 50 gal remote for it but the transfer tanks at tractor supply etc are so expensive and they are hard to find on clist for a good price.

zout

If your good at what you do - there is no reason you cannot try and make one - just raising the question appears you have the skill and already know what to check for when your done - post pics when your done with it - I say GO FOR IT

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel tanks are a lot of work, and vibration is the main thing that takes out those small ones. Vibration is hard to engineer for, so if you can make a deal for a used one, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Aerialfred

Speaking of fuel tanks, where does one find a fuel tank for an M38A1 jeep? Mine is too rusty to save. Are there other tanks that will fit if I can't find a nos or replacement?
thanks,
Fred

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks