• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a M103A3 into a dump trailer

shadow

I’m thinking about making my M103A3 genset trailer into a dump bed using the ram from a fold under lift gate. I have been looking online on how to do it and most dumps use a scissor hoist. To me it looks like there would be extreme force required to start the bed moving up based on the scissor design but then require less force after it has risen a little bit.

I found the TM’s for the trailers and it looks like the different bed designs are just bolted on so it should be easy to make a rail they could mount to, that would be raised with a ram. Because they were never intended to be a dump bed, would the flat bed design hold up to being a dump bed?

I would make sides for the bed like the M105’s have but have them go into the rib pockets so it can be removed. The trailer says it can hold about 2 tons but I don’t think I would ever have that much load on the trailer. I would never be hauling dirt or rock (no need to) I would only be using it for home items to take to the land fill.

I have a 1 ton dually truck that would tow it but I have to jerry rig a pintle mount because the receiver is so low to the ground. I flipped the lunette ring on the trailer (surprisingly easy. A few hours, a bent pipe wrench, and a large pry bar and it came apart) and I am still 13” away from the top of the receiver. Probably a little more than that because the front leg/wheel on the trailer is bent so it is probably sitting a little lower then normal.

I want to concentrate on the pintle mount, bent wheel, and a leak on the hub right now. I plan on using it in a parade in a few weeks to haul my cannons on so I don’t need the dump just yet.

What are your thoughts on make a dump trailer out of one of these? And any ideas for a pintle mount?

I have 2”x2” id tubing ¼” wall I am thinking of using. I would weld a pintle mount to the tubes and weld the tubes to the receiver. The tube is from the rack that borders the truck. I cut off the back section to make loading easy so I have a spare 6' bar. (In the pic it is still attached).

The bottom is the receiver tube and the rest is the 1/4 “wall tubing. I also have a 3/8” plate that the pintel will be welded to at the top of it. I’m not sure if side twisting will be an issue with this idea.

This pic shows the liftgate/ram in the background that I would use.

I included pics of the rear of the truck and the bent landing leg/wheel of the trailer.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks