• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making Bows and Stakes?

I recently got a knuckle boom (pk1900) trailer. Today I was setting up the bows and stakes in the drop sides on the trailers bed. They stand about 7ft. at the highest point of there arch, does that seem high for the canopy? Also they are made of metal and seem to be very well constructed (and heavy). If I make it to were I store this Beast of a trailer I'll post up the dimensions. Heres some pics w/out the stakes and bows. Thanks

Attachments

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Trailer! Where did you find it? Are you planning on towing it with a deuce? I would like to know more about the boom arm and capacities, well, everything!

mikey

Just an FYI for NJ members, I just had a sawmill cut me 10 stakes from oak. They charged me $6.20 per stake.

L 45"
W 2 3/8"
T 7/8"

It was an easy decision for me. $62 to have 10 oak stakes cut to exact specs or a full day of f'ing around with my table saw (i like measuring once and cutting twice) plus the cost of wood.

Now I get to sand, prime and paint.

The sawmill is located in Allentown, NJ (kinda close to six flags). The people were really great and it was less than 24 hours from the time I placed the order to the time I picked them up.

Riephoff Sawmill - Crane Mats, Hardwood Mats, Custom Sawing

Mikey

paulfarber

Did they round over the corners? It looks like a simple 1/4in radius.... if not rounded over they will splinter much more easier.

I am getting top bows from jtonka on my way to Ft. Drum to pick up a trailers... the side stakes don't bother me... but a steam tube... no thanks.

mikey

Did they round over the corners? It looks like a simple 1/4in radius.... if not rounded over they will splinter much more easier.

I am getting top bows from jtonka on my way to Ft. Drum to pick up a trailers... the side stakes don't bother me... but a steam tube... no thanks.
No rounding, although I didn't ask them for that. It took me less than an hour to round them all with my angle grinder and 80 grit sandpaper...

I'm going over the entire surface tomorrow with 120 grit, then prime and paint.

deuceaid

Banned
As far as I know they are all the same. However, I must admit I am not necessarily the expert on that particular topic. Knowing how the military works I suspect they would have them identical and interchangeable. Sorry I can't be of further assistance.

also my mil friends always said,,, murphys weapon law.........contract goes to lowest bidder...

deuceaid

Banned
Well I use to watch PBS years ago,,,, and learned this from .. roy underhill.... ( cant find a video) bend wood with steam [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOIJXDZXB3g[/media]

now I was wondering if you could do the same to epiton (fonetic),

I miss the good lumberyards of San Jose,, they stocked RARE woods, ebony,,, purple heartwood, balsa(bulk), and so many others,,,, and you could even make a custom order.......

Copybell

bows

I built some by bending plywood strips over a jig and gluing the strips together. Since the strips were glued together, when taking them out of the jig they stayed in the shape of the jig.

paulfarber

The form is not the hard part... getting a 10 ft board hot/wet enough to bend and set is the problem.

You need a lot of heat/steam along a lot of wood to bend it.

deuceaid

Banned
The form is not the hard part... getting a 10 ft board hot/wet enough to bend and set is the problem.

You need a lot of heat/steam along a lot of wood to bend it.
never had that problem,,,, you just need more heat ,, but I have never had a problem ,, as I live in so california

deathrowdave

White Oak works best , steaming and bending : many videos on YOU TUBE . I did a set a few years ago work great easy to complete . Clear white oak can be hard to find at times

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks