• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making my laundry list...need input

MConstantbabble

well...been lurking and reading for a while, and while I "need" one of these things like a hole in the head, I'm convinced I gotta have one lol.

I grew up wrenching on pony/musclecars, have been driving aircooled VW's for years, and my daily driver is a modded Dodge dually...so I'm fairly competent mechanically, and am very used to quirky-ass vehicles that are far from "normal" vehicles and are less than easy/convenient to drive, but they're just fun as **** to me, and the fun factor far outweigh problems/quirkiness.

That being said, I need advice on "options" for lack of a better word when deciding what I need on mine when I have it built...so far all I know is I don't need a winch...I like the 46" tires...will do civy wipers...and I'd prefer a turbo.

Now, I am totally ignorant to air brakes...power assist steering...air shift etc. would love info on the benefits, etc. and anything else you guys can think of.

I appreciate any help, and thanks so much!!

MConstantbabble

Thanks for the welcome wreckerman...I'm wearing out the search function as we speak...haven't done a lot yet, was in denial that I'd actually bite the bullet...yeah, right ;)

One thing that I am very curious about is wheelbase as it applies to the bed...I'm obsessive-compulsive, so #1...the wheelwell has to be exactly centered with the rear tires...and is bed placement a given, or is there wiggle-room, as in can it be pushed back to allow room for a spare tire upright behind the cab as opposed to underneath, so I could utilize fuel tanks on both sides etc.?

4trans

OD iron it gets in ya and you cant get it out! Its like being redneck you cant change but you are pride of it

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Define wheelwell as deuce beds don't have them unless you have an M34 or M135. If you do have this fenderwell OCD problem, don't buy a 5 ton. The fronts are far from centered. There is an FAQ section (WIKI) at the top of the deuce forum that can be very helpful. Other than that, sit down, put your seatbelt on, keep your hands and feet in the coaster at all times and enjoy the ride!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do have this fenderwell OCD problem, don't buy a 5 ton. The fronts are far from centered.
rofl

I've always thought the 5 tons looked a little odd with all that extra fender space behind the front wheels.

MConstantbabble

Thanks for the input guys...
So far (on a ballpark from Hundy) I'm looking at just under 10 grand...
Bobbed with 46" tires
power steering
full outer paint

I hate X-treme 4X4 for that stupid **** episode!!

Hey Mconstantbabble, you think you're OCD? Did you notice you used both a period and question mark at the end of your last sentence.? Welcome to the loony bin. I am the king of OCD, and also the king of procrastination. I know you need to bow and pay homage, but you can get to that later...

If you are looking for a really nice bobbed deuce example, check out the "Lifting a bobbed deuce" thread and the well-centered wheels on Ridgerunner's vehicle. I think he is using the same size tires of that 5th truck down on that website of which you were typing. WHile 5-tons are nice, a deuce is practical, large enough to handle most chores one can give it, and lighter in the mud. It is still heavy duty enough to run 56" tires, and the multifuel engine lets you run, well, multiple types of fuel. :-?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to this obsession...er...hobby, MConstantbabble. Which one of you guys sneezed on this poor soul :?::?: Was it you WreckerMan:?::?: Now, you went and done gave him the Green Flu.

Don't get too OCD about MV's. They were meant to have a lot of "slop" built in. That's what makes them loveable.

HeadWizard

Quote "One thing that I am very curious about is wheelbase as it applies to the bed...I'm obsessive-compulsive, so #1...the wheelwell has to be exactly centered with the rear tires...and is bed placement a given, or is there wiggle-room, as in can it be pushed back to allow room for a spare tire upright behind the cab as opposed to underneath, so I could utilize fuel tanks on both sides etc.?

Thanks guys!
Quick question...will 46" tires fit underneath in the stock spare location?
Thanks!"

You don't have to worry about wheel wells if you use a real cut down deuce bed and don't shortcut the project with a trailer bed. It's more work so most people don't do it.

No 46" tires wont fit in the stock spare location on a bobbed deuce - in my experience.

You can buy my bobbed deuce for 11k. It has air assist steering and I'll swap out the 16.00x20's for 46" tires if you want :wink: It's also on the east coast in the DC area.

MConstantbabble

Quote "One thing that I am very curious about is wheelbase as it applies to the bed...I'm obsessive-compulsive, so #1...the wheelwell has to be exactly centered with the rear tires...and is bed placement a given, or is there wiggle-room, as in can it be pushed back to allow room for a spare tire upright behind the cab as opposed to underneath, so I could utilize fuel tanks on both sides etc.?

Thanks guys!
Quick question...will 46" tires fit underneath in the stock spare location?
Thanks!"

You don't have to worry about wheel wells if you use a real cut down deuce bed and don't shortcut the project with a trailer bed. It's more work so most people don't do it.

No 46" tires wont fit in the stock spare location on a bobbed deuce - in my experience.

You can buy my bobbed deuce for 11k. It has air assist steering and I'll swap out the 16.00x20's for 46" tires if you want :wink: It's also on the east coast in the DC area.
Shoot me some info/pics when you have a chance.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Vondy

Dont know where you are in Ohio. I am Near Cincinnati if you dont have access to see a deuce in person. PM me if you wanna come and check it out.

By the way WELCOME to sickness. I got my deuce to work on the farm, now its got historical plates and goes to cruise ins and parades!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks