• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making ole boy a crew cab questions

ThinkBig

I plan on making the truck a crew cab. The issue is, I won’t have an indoor facility to do the work through the winter. I would like to have a functioning truck by spring.

Here are are some things I’ve thought of and wondering how those with experiences in this area feel about my purposed plan.

After researching crew cabs, I noticed that those who make them all seem to do this with the original cab left on the chassis. Is there a definitive reason for this?

I built a Model A hot rod, and made a frame jig in which I used for the frame and body modifications. It kept things level, plumb and square.

I could modify this jig to duplicate the deuce frame, mount the cab to it and complete the shell on it. This would allow me to work all winter in the comfort of my garage. Then, get a bunch of guys together to set the new body on the frame. I would think this method would also improve the accessibility to the bottom to make appropriate reinforcements and repairs. Not to mention ease of painting (not on a step ladder)

Am I off base? Give me your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks guys!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The jig is probably the better way to get a superior build. Let me toss this out there for you. Most folks bend the back cab straight to line it up with the existing cab. The back of the cab is 10"wider. Consequently, the 939 cabs are 10" wider than the deuce cab. The front of a 939 cab should mate up almost perfectly with the back of the M44 cab.

ThinkBig

That sounds like a GREAT idea! I bought the truck with an extra deuce cab for this already though. So, I will for sure be pie cutting. Lol

Why does everyone leave it on the frame? Do you think it’s a space and convenience thing?

ThinkBig

That sounds like a GREAT idea! I bought the truck with an extra deuce cab for this already though. So, I will for sure be pie cutting. Lol

Why does everyone leave it on the frame? Do you think it’s a space and convenience thing?

ThinkBig

I’m hoping to start pulling the cab off next weekend and hoping to hear more about why they all seem to be stretched on the chassis. I’d really hate to make a big mistake. I’ve seen some pretty talented guys here. So let’s hear some more thoughts.

mattgunguy

Everyone does them on the frame still because, no one has a jig. If I'd have had a jig, I would have used it in an instant. Instead I had a tree, a chain hoist, and a lot of cussing. Got it done though. Sorta.

My only real concern with building a cab off chassis would be the little things that pop up. For instance, I wanted to keep the kick vents between the original cab and the second cab. This would have caused the front drive axle tires to swing right into rear corners of the cab. Probably wouldn't have noticed this had I access to a jig. But it would have been sooooo much simpler to weld up on a jig. No need to be an Olympic level human pretzel to weld the bottom of the cab.

If you know exactly where all the final measurements are, I'd go with the jig, the ability to keep everything true and square is a tremendous blessing. Would help with the final product a lot. However, if things aren't set in stone I'd do it on the frame. Be prepared for a lot of tweaking though. Probably a good amount of cussing too.

ThinkBig

Everyone does them on the frame still because, no one has a jig. If I'd have had a jig, I would have used it in an instant. Instead I had a tree, a chain hoist, and a lot of cussing. Got it done though. Sorta.

My only real concern with building a cab off chassis would be the little things that pop up. For instance, I wanted to keep the kick vents between the original cab and the second cab. This would have caused the front drive axle tires to swing right into rear corners of the cab. Probably wouldn't have noticed this had I access to a jig. But it would have been sooooo much simpler to weld up on a jig. No need to be an Olympic level human pretzel to weld the bottom of the cab.

If you know exactly where all the final measurements are, I'd go with the jig, the ability to keep everything true and square is a tremendous blessing. Would help with the final product a lot. However, if things aren't set in stone I'd do it on the frame. Be prepared for a lot of tweaking though. Probably a good amount of cussing too.

I checked out out your build and It looks awesome! I really like how you did the rear fenders and can’t wait to see what you did with the roof. I will also have to do similar back yard engineering with all the heavy stuff kind of like you.

Thank you for your input and saying something about having to lose the rear “air conditioning” to keep the extra axle. I would have missed that for sure! I’m now torn between a larger cab and keeping 3 axles. I’m leaning on keeping the cab bigger as this will be the family truck.

Im fairly committed to the frame jig at this point because I would like to get the tedious work done in winter when I don’t need the truck. I know it’s a ton of extra work getting that cab off but it’s the only option for working inside. So, I guess it boils down to jig now for a functioning truck in early spring or wait and tear him down in spring and go without a truck for a chunk of summer. How will we ever get our boat to the lake??? Oh, the struggle!

Thank you you for sharing your thoughts and experience

Jeep Nasty

I checked out out your build and It looks awesome! I really like how you did the rear fenders and can’t wait to see what you did with the roof. I will also have to do similar back yard engineering with all the heavy stuff kind of like you.

Thank you for your input and saying something about having to lose the rear “air conditioning” to keep the extra axle. I would have missed that for sure! I’m now torn between a larger cab and keeping 3 axles. I’m leaning on keeping the cab bigger as this will be the family truck.

Im fairly committed to the frame jig at this point because I would like to get the tedious work done in winter when I don’t need the truck. I know it’s a ton of extra work getting that cab off but it’s the only option for working inside. So, I guess it boils down to jig now for a functioning truck in early spring or wait and tear him down in spring and go without a truck for a chunk of summer. How will we ever get our boat to the lake??? Oh, the struggle!

Thank you you for sharing your thoughts and experience
Do it in the driveway and in the snow, that's what I did.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?120244-Starting-my-5-ton-crew-cab-project&highlight=

mattgunguy

I prefer three axles. Not a big fan of bobbers myself. As for the kick vents, I probably could have fudged it. Was a matter of a couple inches. But with knowing that I'd be keeping the front rear axle, I decided to be cautious. It's still plenty big enough for a family of six. I can take some measurements from mine if you'd like. Be about a week though. Trucks broke down in Oklahoma and I'm in Missouri.

I prefer to work on the trucks in winter and play in summer. Folks like you and jeep nasty I don't envy. It gets dang cold up there. I'd wanna work inside if at all possible.
My wife's from northern Minnesota and calls me a wussy. We had two seasons in Texas. Hot and not as hot.

Last edited:

ThinkBig

I prefer three axles. Not a big fan of bobbers myself. As for the kick vents, I probably could have fudged it. Was a matter of a couple inches. But with knowing that I'd be keeping the front rear axle, I decided to be cautious. It's still plenty big enough for a family of six. I can take some measurements from mine if you'd like. Be about a week though. Trucks broke down in Oklahoma and I'm in Missouri.

I prefer to work on the trucks in winter and play in summer. Folks like you and jeep nasty I don't envy. It gets dang cold up there. I'd wanna work inside if at all possible.
My wife's from northern Minnesota and calls me a wussy. We had two seasons in Texas. Hot and not as hot.
After man handling the extra cab this weekend, I’ve discovered this is NOTHING like my Model A. I thought that was some good ole American heavy steel. I could easily shift around the shell by myself. The Deuce is much heavier and it’s now making me think it should be done on the frame like you guys. I don’t believe manpower alone could pick up the completed cab high enough and safely. I’d have to rent something to accomplish the task. It’s looking more and more that I will wait till spring to start cutting. I’m not that hardcore anymore. Maybe 20 years ago. Not anymore.

ROCKWELL-C60

A jig is just so you have something straight to work off. Your frame rails make for a good jig just level it and put it on stands and you'll be fine. If you want to come down and see how I did mine your more then welcomed I'm just in Racine. It's in the garage and I'm just getting done with all major fab.20170329_175555_1.jpg

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The originals where built on a jig, right?
Inside with good light and heat, closer to power, flat floor, it is difficult to see a down side to your plan. I have a 3'x4' 20 ton cart for when you want to roll it out.

Last edited:

ROCKWELL-C60

Well when you start making your cab the first thing is the floor and how your going to mount it to the frame. If you wait till the end you'll be doing all your mods from underneath.

ThinkBig

A jig is just so you have something straight to work off. Your frame rails make for a good jig just level it and put it on stands and you'll be fine. If you want to come down and see how I did mine your more then welcomed I'm just in Racine. It's in the garage and I'm just getting done with all major fab.View attachment 711679

I just might take you up on that! I have yet to see an actual crew cab in person. It would be nice to walk around under that thing and take a look. That looks like a beautiful shop btw.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm doing my right now too. I left the original cab on the frame. Cut the front out of the addition. I then cut out the back of the main cab leaving as much floor and rear floor support as possible. I then put the additional cab up on the frame rails and slid it towards the front cab. I put 1" square tubing up into the cab floor supports under both cabs. This help line them up. I split the additional cab on the edge of the wall close to the doors. Then I ratchet strapped the cab forward to get them close. I then plug welded those 1" tubes through the floor on both cabs and have started patching the floors. My next steps are to square up the side walls and weld the inside door pillar and outside pillar steel. Then it will be time for the roof construction.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
deu1.jpgdeu2.jpgdeu3.jpgdeu4.jpgdeu5.jpgdeu6.jpg
The first one is where I just got the cab up onto the framerails. The floor support section on either side of the floor hump is where I placed the 1" square tubing to help line it up. You can fit two, 1" square tubes, side by side in each floor channel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks