• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

making small batches of custom parts

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Whom ever is the first person to make a wheel adapter that allows the HEMTT wheel to be ran on a deuce will get rich. Trust me, all of us who bought a lot or 2 of these wheels are just waiting to be able to cheaply put them on our trucks. These wheels look good, were priced low, safer to use than the originals, are tubeless and take a larger tire. With all of the wheels that have been auctioned there is a substantial demand for this product. I think you could sell more and make a greater profit that you could with steps and chocks.

GoHot229

Whom ever is the first person to make a wheel adapter that allows the HEMTT wheel to be ran on a deuce will get rich. Trust me, all of us who bought a lot or 2 of these wheels are just waiting to be able to cheaply put them on our trucks. These wheels look good, were priced low, safer to use than the originals, are tubeless and take a larger tire. With all of the wheels that have been auctioned there is a substantial demand for this product. I think you could sell more and make a greater profit that you could with steps and chocks.
Absolutly the best bang for the buck here. Simply a six to typical ten bolt patern, like used on eighteen wheelers.

jesusgatos

I think you're right about those wheels, but I'm not specifically looking to go into business making Deuce parts. I'm just interested in making some cool parts for my truck, and wanted to involve other people on the forum. If I end up making a few bucks one way or another, cool.

The other thing about those wheel adapters, is that I'm not sure that's going to end up being the best way to go. I've been following the threads about that, and for what it would cost to manufacture/sell the adapters at any kind of profit, it seems like you'd be better off just welding new centers into the wheels like Clint has been doing. Or maybe using custom hubs, like OEM makes. Just my thoughts on that. I want a set too.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very familiar with what goes into designing and producing parts. The main problem you're going to run into is cost of production in small runs on most parts. It's kind of like the wheel adapers mentioned. What he should have said was "I wish sombody would make an affordable adapter" because they are out there but they are pricey. Lets face it, the people around here are cheap (myself included) :-D. Stuff like the steps, chock holder, and dropside braces are pretty simple and you could probably do ok with stuff like that.

jesusgatos

i would like to get the sheet metal cut out so i could put a new steel cab encloser made

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter....cts/rec63e.pdf

i tried to bring it up but my computer is chocking, i printed it a few months ago it looks simple enough if you had the metal all cut out
I spent some time looking at that yesterday, but there are some things about it that I don't really care for (like the overhang at the cab corners and the top/front edge along the windshield. Still really useful for all the dimensions, but I'd want to make some changes before I cut any parts. I really wish I could just find a hard top for sale (for a reasonable price) somewhere on the west coast...

I am very familiar with what goes into designing and producing parts. The main problem you're going to run into is cost of production in small runs on most parts. It's kind of like the wheel adapers mentioned. What he should have said was "I wish sombody would make an affordable adapter" because they are out there but they are pricey. Lets face it, the people around here are cheap (myself included) :-D. Stuff like the steps, chock holder, and dropside braces are pretty simple and you could probably do ok with stuff like that.
Loud and clear. The only things that I'm going to make in that category are parts that I want/need for my own use.

scooter01922

Ok, anyone near here with some HEMTT rims handy??? I know some machinists that are real slow and i may just want to at least look at the feasability of making some adapters. If the numbers add up this could work.

jesusgatos

I forgot to add shock mounts to the list. I always put the most time/money/effort into upgrading the suspension on all of my off-road vehicles, and I forgot all about the shocks (lack of) on these trucks.

scootertrs

Have a Deuce fire truck and a 5 Ton tractor... My wish list for both... Front steps... I would have them on both sides and maybe wide enough for both feet? A/C compressor bracket... maybe the 12V alternator bracket... That first step on the 5 ton is a doozie... I need to check to be sure that the tank is on allright... it sure feels "soft" ...

I am welding a 2" receiver hitch in the rear to accomodate any standard towing needs...

jesusgatos

Got the first deuce hubstep samples back today and they fit great! I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. Right now I'm talking to somebody on this forum about selling these for me, and we're still working out the details, but it looks like we'll be able to sell these for under $200/pair and we can have these ready to ship within a month if anybody wants a set. Please let me know what you guys think of 'em.

I designed them to fit the front and rear hubs on my deuce. Are there any variation, as far as hubs go, that I should be aware of? These won't work with locking hubs, but if there's enough interest, I can obviously design them to fit just about any application.

Attachments

Last edited: