• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making the drive from Los Angeles to Anchorage, Any suggestions on stuff to bring?

OGMurph

Like the title says I'm driving from my place 35 miles outside of LAX to Anchorage/Kenai Alaska.

What do you guys carry as essential stuff in your truck to keep you on the road for longer? What tools? What music? What spares do you have and how many? Any and all info to keep my CUCV on the road longer would be great.

If you travel up the west coast of the USA then also if you have places for me to stop by or check out that would also be welcomed information.

Thanks

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like the title says I'm driving from my place 35 miles outside of LAX to Anchorage/Kenai Alaska.

What do you guys carry as essential stuff in your truck to keep you on the road for longer? What tools? What music? What spares do you have and how many? Any and all info to keep my CUCV on the road longer would be great.

If you travel up the west coast of the USA then also if you have places for me to stop by or check out that would also be welcomed information.

Thanks
Bring an ice chest with food and drink. Do you have a good spare tire & tire change tools? I'm sure some CUCV owners will give you a list of essentials. Sounds like a fun trip.....keep us posted and be safe!

truck1

I'm north of S.F. in San Anselmo , Marin Couny. Anything you need PM . I'd say FULL TOOL KIT. Oil, filter , spare fuel, raidiator, hoses / line, anti freeze, tire plug/patch kit, compressor, fuses, fuel filter, bulbs, ....... My fuel solenoid was problematic. My 1028 AFTER fine tuning has been one of he most reliable vehicles I've ever owned . A Gear Vendor overdrive would be huge for that run. Best upgrade I've ever done. Tachometer. How anal should you we get? Good luck, PM if you need support.:tigger:

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need several spares. The Alaskan Highway will eat several.
Tire plug kit and air compressor are essential.

Plus All the normal road trip items and some spare parts, extra oil and a spare fuel filter or two. Fuel cans etc.
Belts, fuses, bulbs, road flares, flashlight and extra batteries. Duct tape, Basic tool kit to handle most things roadside.
The list is almost endless and a lot is personal preference.
I usually pack overkill. Always have.

Not a lot of choices once you cross the border.

I would rather have it and not need it......than need it and not have it.

OGMurph

I've got a full set of tools, electric and hand, got some spare: belts, fluids, loads of tape, straps, chains, gloves, fuel filter, oil filters, headlights, starter,

Hadn't thought of the road flares. I've got 1 pretty decent spare tire in the back with 50% tread left on it and new on the truck.

I'm a son of a redneck and a man who has 3 of everything. I dont know if you got the chance to check out my post from the other day but my truck has that drawer system where i keep ill my professional tools as a stage carpenter/handyman. So i dont have all the tools but ive fixed ****ed up 200,000 dollar pianos in brazil without speaking the language with less then what ive got in like a quarter of one drawer. LOL

While im thinking about it.. anyone got a good set of chain they can recommend to toss on my tires.. 33x10.5x15's

Anyone who lives on my route and wants to meet.. BEERS ON THIS GUY! I can always use more buddies!

Ordak

One thing I always carry in my m1009 (well any of vehicles really) is a tow strap or chain. Not that is a must be I seem to use mine at least 2-3 times a year to help someone out or have someone pull me out. A extra set of windshield wipers, 12v electric fan, fire extinguisher, a road map, and a first aid kit. Something else that is nice to have is baling twine or a roll of steel wire. I have had a few exhaust hangers fail on me and I am glad I had it on me. I would also get 2 plugs from Home Depot or Lowes that fit the oil cooling line ports on the engine block above the oil filter. I recently had mine fail and I could of saved myself a tow but I did not have the plugs. I believe the size is 3/8" and I highly recommend keeping them in your truck at all times.
Good Luck on your journey

honda

Ordak said
I would also get 2 plugs from Home Depot or Lowes that fit the oil cooling line ports on the engine block above the oil filter. I recently had mine fail and I could of saved myself a tow but I did not have the plugs. I believe the size is 3/8" and I highly recommend keeping them in your truck at all times.
Ordak, have you removed the oil cooling lines from the engine ports and replaced with plugs? I'm just wondering which ports you're referencing???

Ordak

Ordak, have you removed the oil cooling lines from the engine ports and replaced with plugs? I'm just wondering which ports you're referencing???
I did replace them temporarily until I was able to have 2 new cooling lines made up (took 5 weeks, long story). If you look on the driver side of your radiator there should be two large rubber lines going into your radiator then crossing over to the drivers side through metal lines (between radiator and your fan). If you follow those lines back underneath your cucv they lead to two ports just above the oil filter (there is brass adapters). Those are the ports I am referring too.
sorry if I gave you too much information wasn't really sure how much you wanted.

The 1st pic is a top side view looking down at the cooling lines going to the ports above the oil filter, you can see the red oil filter. (you can see the oil still on the frame from where it was leaking)
The 2nd pic is the lines routing to the underside
The 3rd pic is where the lines connect to the radiator (i have custom made lines so your may not look the same)

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need 2, preferably 3 spares with you. Good spares, not worn out ones that can still hold air.
AH Gravel Rocks are killer on low tread tires. New ones also.
Everyone I know that has made that drive has needed every single one to make it to the next place for repair/replace.
If you do take only one, I highly recommend a brand new tire.

Get everything you can in the states. Once your North of the border, prices skyrocket and selection thins out.

That is an amazing drive and you will really enjoy it.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring a high quality can of bear repellent spray. Get custom molded ear plugs to save your hearing. Long trip + high dB = hearing loss. Buy a couple seat cushions and lumbar supports to save your back and backside. Bring a couple pairs of wraparound sunglasses. I like the tinted Z87.1 safety rated glasses that Sam's Club sells. Cheap, effective, and they protect your eyes from impact.

For long trips in my M1009 I use 'redneck cruise control'. I have a metal broom handle that I got off a broken broom I bought at the dollar store. I place it against the throttle and wedge my right elbow against the seat. It works surprisingly well. :) I also bought an aluminum bat at Play It Again Sports for $3. That's my alternative redneck cruise control.

Have you thought about taking a ferry from Seattle to AK? It'll save you some mileage on your M1009 and give you a break from the windshield and provide some well needed rest. It would also help you avoid issues at the border with, um, personal protective devices.

cucvrus

um, personal protective devices.

Like condoms, safety glasses, gloves, helmets, steel tip boots and ear plugs? Are they illegal in Canada and Alaska? :)

Drock

When ever I go on long trips I always take my "bugout bag", or "72hr bag". Food, water, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, solar phone charger, cash, pistol + extra mags. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring some jerry cans of fuel. Sometimes it's hard to find a gas stations that sell diesel in an unfamiliar place, and when you do they can be sketchy.2cents

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When ever I go on long trips I always take my "bugout bag", or "72hr bag". Food, water, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, solar phone charger, cash, pistol + extra mags. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring some jerry cans of fuel. Sometimes it's hard to find a gas stations that sell diesel in an unfamiliar place, and when you do they can be sketchy.2cents
Your not getting into Canada with that one.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is exactly what I was eluding to, porkysplace. Guess I should have been a little more clear. Taking a ferry from Seattle to AK would allow the OP to take whatever legal self defense tools that he desires, provided that he abides by the rules and regulations set fourth by the ferry operators. Personally, I wouldn't drive that long a distance without a way to protect myself from aggressors/criminals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks