• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making your own hard top!?

Dele16

Just curious has anyone made a hard top and rear curtain for the humvee? Maybe out of plywood laid with fiberglass? Buying a kit is very pricey. Pics would be awesome! Thanks this is my m998!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The lighting on the holding tank thing is a little bit spooky, with some imagination.

Maybe a new battle logo,

CAMO

teteacher101

Just curious has anyone made a hard top and rear curtain for the humvee? Maybe out of plywood laid with fiberglass? Buying a kit is very pricey. Pics would be awesome! Thanks this is my m998!

I almost built one out of 1/8 aluminum with aluminium "trusses" under it for support as I have access to a shop to fab everything. I had done sketches for a two piece roof design and a one piece rear with a camper window in the center. My thought was I could say build 5 of them or whatever, an with making them in different pieces they would stack on a pallet easy for shipping. Unfortunately, I only got about as far as pricing materials though as I have taken on a extensive 67 Mustang Fastback Restoration for a friend of mine.

JoeJrTheBarber

I took a roof off a slantback and "modified" it to work on my 1988 M998 that came to me as a 4 man softop setup.
Lots of little tweaks and cuts but now its a permanent part of the truck aka it aint coming off !
Top.jpgTruck1.jpgRoof.jpg
The back wall or "window" was a "iron curtain" from a online parts supplier that fit like absolute garbage, so we cut it up and made the bottom "flip up" n some military hinges
so I can have access into the truck to say haul some long 2x4's or whatever. I plan to basically daily drive this truck as use it as need b.
Back6.jpgBack1.jpgBack .jpg

Dele16

I took a roof off a slantback and "modified" it to work on my 1988 M998 that came to me as a 4 man softop setup.
Lots of little tweaks and cuts but now its a permanent part of the truck aka it aint coming off !
View attachment 753841View attachment 753842View attachment 753843
The back wall or "window" was a "iron curtain" from a online parts supplier that fit like absolute garbage, so we cut it up and made the bottom "flip up" n some military hinges
so I can have access into the truck to say haul some long 2x4's or whatever. I plan to basically daily drive this truck as use it as need b.
View attachment 753844View attachment 753845View attachment 753846
Looks awesome man! Also what size wheels and tires are those? And what wheel? Looks great

Sparo2

I made mine from 1/16” plywood. I used steam to try and curve the sides. Once I had it all done I added fiberglass to it. Looking back, I would’ve preferred to make it out of aluminum sheets. At the time I did it money was an issue that’s why I went the route I did. PM me if you want more details.

daveiaff

I have a M998 that has no c pillar and was a soft top. I'm going to cut down the b pillar 1/2" so there is no rise from windshield frame to b pillar. Found a shop that can use a press brake to form the radius on edges about 6". The issues is I can't find aluminum sheets wide enough in 1/8th inch. May have to seam middle with TIG. I can also just have it press braked at 45 degree angles but not thrilled with that look. Practicing now with tig on Alum.

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M998 that has no c pillar and was a soft top. I'm going to cut down the b pillar 1/2" so there is no rise from windshield frame to b pillar. Found a shop that can use a press brake to form the radius on edges about 6". The issues is I can't find aluminum sheets wide enough in 1/8th inch. May have to seam middle with TIG. I can also just have it press braked at 45 degree angles but not thrilled with that look. Practicing now with tig on Alum.
Slantback and aftermarket tops have a seam. You could make a fiberglass top without a seam... Go thick.

Best,

T

JoeJrTheBarber

If your going to cut up the "B" pillar you might as well replace it with a roll bar made out of some nice chrome moly tubing.
I thought of this after my top was completed :evil: ...

tobyS

Dele16, Have you thought about making a soft top over a frame? I don't have a HMMWV but on my deuce and 5 ton I'm making new soft top from several layers of canvas and on the outside, ballistic nylon. Sandwiched in between the inner layers of canvas, I'm using foam sleeping mats.

The BN is black and so is the canvas I'm using, but I'm fairly sure the rattle can Rustoleum camo will work for color + then some waterproofing. I bought the deep forest green, earth brown and black and waterproofing, but have only experiments on small amount of nylon. It does stiffen some, but even heavy areas did not crack.

The straight lines of the HMMWV windshield seems ideal for stretching from point A to B and C.

I'm making about a 3" "duckbill" overhang on the front (steel attachment) and windows for better attachment and to get the darn water further out and have a drip edge.

The dark color of your beautiful truck with the black nylon would seem to match great with no coloring. Or just a light use of the flat black (the camo has a bit of blue I think) to take the sheen off the BN.

Last edited:

slmanella

i’ll post some here. when i built the frame i wasn’t planning on mounting it in a MT-1029 but that thought changed as i’m trying to replicate something that looks like its supposed to be there. That being said my frame is off by 1/4” so i’ll be putting another one together. traveling for work next week so i may not get to that until i return.
some of the modern conveniences are cup holders, usb charging, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks