• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making your truck a tank, or converting your Deuce to a tracked vehicle

Sumoman

They look like something that could be built fairly easy in a shop. The plates would be easy enough to stamp, wonder if we can find some to copy?

OffRoad

When you have the rear end singled out and you wrap the tracks just around the rear tires, like a skid-steer...

wouldn't you need a third bogie wheel to take up the slack when the rear tires are flexing over obstacles? how would the track flex when the tires articulate?

I think tracks over the rear are a great idea. Those tracks combined with Detroit lockers in the axles would give the deuce superior traction in difficult or snowy terrain.

In particular regard to snowy terrain, with lockers in all 3 axles, and chains on the front with tracks on the back, you will accomplish all missions.

Foolishness.

jesusgatos

When you have the rear end singled out and you wrap the tracks just around the rear tires, like a skid-steer...

wouldn't you need a third bogie wheel to take up the slack when the rear tires are flexing over obstacles? how would the track flex when the tires articulate?
I don't know, but it would be pretty easy to measure the changes in the distance between the axles throughout the whole range of suspension travel. I think the important measurements to take would be, 1) at ride height, 2) one axle fully-drooped & the other axle at full compression, 3) both axles drooped (hanging). The links that locate the axles are pretty flat, and they're mounted fairly close together at the chassis-end, so I'm guessing that the distance between the axles won't change enough to make running tracks between the two rear axles a problem. Then again, I don't know anything about tracked vehicles....

wehring

tracks

SECO in Ga did this years ago. They used M114 sections ($60ea) and custom fitted the last section to the needed length. Deflate the 9.00s or 11.00s bolt track sections together then inflate tires.

The 4" center guide on the tracks fits nicely between the duals. Rubber pads on gorusers can still be driven on the road.

Justin
979 997 3112

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember seeing a WW2 deuce with a set of tracks on the rear, using the duals as they are. They were mounted over the tires. That would be the simplest way to go. A version of the "Half Track".

Lee in Alaska

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a MV, but here's my tracked vehicle. The tracks are made by TJD of Canada. They work great in the snow and mud, traction and flotation beat the **** out of tires. They have the added bonus of lowering the center of gravity, and widening the stance so I probably couldn't roll it if I tried. The down side is the large turning radius, penalty in gas milage, and about a 20% reduction in top speed. My 750 doesn't have power steering so on hard ground at low speed it takes some effort to turn and at higher speeds it gets a little squirrely. Overall I think they're sweet. I decided to get the tracks instead of an ATV and a snow machine. One vehicle for year-round use.

I played with the idea of getting tracks for a late model Jeep, but cost is prohibitive. I think the estimate of $30K for a deuce sounds about right. Also, with the down sides I mentioned above for an ATV, what would it be for a large truck? You'd probably start measuring fuel consumption in gallons per mile.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks