• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MAN KAT US owners?

Reed423

Transmission is manual shift 4spd. No controller. No computer. Just a modulator cable which is easily found and a tower shifter.

Torque converter is in the transmission along with the flywheel teeth.

How about the Allison HD 4560P 6F/1R, I didn’t realize the HD 740 was manual, I would like to go automatic if possible.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
How about the Allison HD 4560P 6F/1R, I didn’t realize the HD 740 was manual, I would like to go automatic if possible.
The HT740 is an automatic 4spd. It's just not computerized like what you saw in the LMTV or the allison 4560s etc. Has no electronics in it. Uses a cable on the throttle linkage to control servo pressure

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The HD4650 you are going to need a harness, TCM, selector, the little throttle module that only I've seen on the 916A0E1s and 915A4s that controls the transmission based on throttle response. It looks like a cruise control module. Not to mention the 10 to 14k price tag for everything vs a $2000 Price tag for a HT740D

Reed423

The HD4650 you are going to need a harness, TCM, selector, the little throttle module that only I've seen on the 916A0E1s and 915A4s that controls the transmission based on throttle response. It looks like a cruise control module. Not to mention the 10 to 14k price tag for everything vs a $2000 Price tag for a HT740D
Ouch. The

Well the HT470 sounds like the way to go. I have prepared a rough block diagram of how to the ZF transmission is arranged and how it would need to be modified for the HT470.

I forgot to mention I have a plan C for this truck...it is an amazing vehicle and has a prescience when you are near it. This is a way out their idea but I would be absolutely awesome if I could pull it off. I have a Garrett TPE-331 single spool turbo shaft engine rated at 750 hp. It is a little bigger than a v8 engine a could fit under that cab over easily. This turbo shaft engine was used for MASH field hospitals back in the day. At the moment I am only missing the reduction gearbox. Unfortunately someone gutted the gearbox housing before I got the engine. If I could source the gearbox, then I could install a slip clutch something similar to engage and disengage the driveshaft smoothly for acceleration. There actually is a pair of gearboxes on eBay right now that could be adapted to work,they have forward and reverse and we’re designed for a Prat and Whitney turbo shaft engine for an offshore racing boat. However, they are $11,000, I just need one for this build. In any case, it would be a a one-of-kind, a turbo shaft powered Man Kat 8x8 truck! Sure, it would burn a lot of fuel, but I wouldnt have any problem accelerating and it would sound badass.

Attachments

Wile E. Coyote

View attachment 770857View attachment 770858 I think your right. The plates on the front look identical but the rear one on my truck is missing. I wonder if transporting Haz-Mat has anything to do with the Orange Logo on the doors. Under the bottom of the logo it has what looks like the letters NBCRS. Does that ring a bell?
This is kind of thread-necromancery I suppose but we have this truck at work now and I have it running/ stopping properly. The three fun things were:

1) Serious asbestos removal.

2) Having to make up a replacement system for the accelerator pedal floor actuator.

3) Having to plumb in something from North America to get the spring brakes to work properly in the absence of any parts sources for all the weird German fittings.

FOX.jpg

The 'FOX' does indeed relate to the XM93 Fuchs/ Fox used in the First Gulf War. Germany gave the first XM93 Fox units to coalition forces in the Gulf along with a bunch of support vehicles and equipment, of which this MAN KAT 1 was an example straight out of German stocks. It *looks* like it went to Kuwait after Desert Storm and sat there for some indeterminate period before being brought back to CONUS with a bunch of other gear - and it looks like that happened after Gulf War II, judging by what was left of the routing label stuck on it. It has a 'US GOVT PROPERTY' sticker on one of the door pillars but that's the only English anywhere on the thing (except arguably the 'FOX' on the door.)

At some point - probably in Kuwait - it gained a couple of replacement cargo side panels and I think the tailgate off of some other trucks likely at Can Point as the overpainted camo and fade rate doesn't match the other panels. At all. I don't know who used it (if anyone) in CONUS after it made the trip from Kuwait.

It's now repainted with the 'Fox' logo just lightly overpainted after taking a million photographs and measurements.

Painted.jpg

Migginsbros

2) Having to make up a replacement system for the accelerator pedal floor actuator.
But you know that there is a accelerator pedal lock until the Clutch pedal is fully released.
Due to the torque converter system the clutch is only for changing the gears not to leave.
So the lock is a safety feature , so the driver can´t kill the clutch. 8) ;)

Wile E. Coyote

But you know that there is a accelerator pedal lock until the Clutch pedal is fully released.
Due to the torque converter system the clutch is only for changing the gears not to leave.
So the lock is a safety feature , so the driver can´t kill the clutch. 8) ;)
Well some previous operator certainly didn't! All the pot metal in the accelerator pedal enclosure was just grenaded. It was a real mess. I have pictures somewhere of the wreckage. I wonder how many other KAT 1 trucks have suffered the same over the years? I guess one can either investigate why it doesn't work - or just stand on it. Clearly Choice B was the winner. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks