• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MAN KAT US owners?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
KAT MAN I have an importer that I bought a really niice Unimog 1300L from a couple years ago, great fellow and just all around straight shooter. Well He is telling me that he is working hard on getting 1 or 2 $x$ ManKats over here and he of course wants me to buy one! I think the trucks look absolutely great and everything I have read about them has been very good, that is until I started looking for a good in country parts source, after finding virtually nothing I started to get cold feet on the deal? I have also heard of some horror stories of private folks like me getting them imported into the US, and the last part of this story I heard (not sure if its true or not) but because this particular model of truck was never ever used in German Civilian life and ONLY as a truck for the Army I would have to register it with the BATFE to get it into the country? In all honesty i have a whole lot more questions concerning these trucks in every way than I do answers MAN KAT! Please feel free to enlighten me on some of this stuff, I would like to have one of these trucks but right now I dont know enough about what is involved to do it? If your willing to share some knowledge please PM me I would sure like to learn more than I know now!
Thanks
Karl

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Germany you can purchase and drive the MAN KAT legally on the streets. Some Folks use it as a worldtravel home and for Truck trial....all variants (4x4, 6x6 or 8x8).

Last edited:

KAT MAN

I dont have any first hand experience bringing one into the country but I know It is street legal in the USA. I have seen one before cruising around but wasnt able to talk to him. Those trucks use ZF transmissions and Duetz Diesel engines which have a dealer network throughout the US http://www.deutz.com/service.en.html and http://www.deutz.com/service/maintenance.en.html
http://www.deutz.com/network/search_sales_and_service_network.en.html

I came across this importer http://www.vermont-unimog.com/, is this the same guy you got your Unimog from?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2355.jpgDSCF2356.jpgDSCF2357.jpgDSCF2360.jpgDSCF2361.jpgDSCF2362.jpgDSCF2363.jpgDSCF2364.jpgDSCF2365.jpgDSCF2366.jpgDSCF2367.jpgDSCF2368.jpgDSCF2369.jpgDSCF2370.jpgDSCF2372.jpgDSCF2373.jpgDSCF2374.jpgDSCF2375.jpgDSCF2376.jpgDSCF2377.jpg Looks like I found the right thread for this restoration project. This vehicle appears to be a MAN KAT1 5Ton (correct me if I'm wrong). A friend of mine purchased this former US ARMY truck about 3 years ago in Reno Nevada from GP. He had some other projects to finish first, and now would like to start restoring this vehicle but, he needs manuals (Parts, Service, Operators) preferably in English, but will take them in German. He will also need a parts source here in the States or in Europe. The truck looks to be mostly complete, but the running condition is unknown. One source said these trucks were in service with the USAF & US ARMY in the 70s and 80s. This truck is the only one I recall seeing in the states, and am curious if there are others in private hands.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2378.jpgDSCF2379.jpgDSCF2380.jpgDSCF2381.jpgDSCF2366.jpg A few more pictures. Is anyone familiar with the logo on the door?? If it is relevant to the trucks history, we might like to include it when the trucks repainted.

dmetalmiki

Now arrived, safe and happy at home. To fit the canopy took us half an hour. View attachment 749033 View attachment 749034 Thanks to all who hold their fingers crossed :driver::driver:
And Now, The full service "posh it up", convert the back for camping,
Prepare gear for another long trip.
SEE YOU at the War and Peace show 2019. Paddock Wood Kent U.K.
Every nationality attending. (There is always a large German contingent.)
Contact Tobias in Düsseldorf, Perhaps come over in convoy?
We already packed a beer for you.

Migginsbros

Tracer Congrats, that's the 5 ton with winch. We have the TM in German but I don't know how to attach a Pdf. 🤔

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
View attachment 767388View attachment 767389View attachment 767390View attachment 767391View attachment 767392View attachment 767393View attachment 767394View attachment 767395View attachment 767396View attachment 767397View attachment 767398View attachment 767399View attachment 767400View attachment 767401View attachment 767402View attachment 767403View attachment 767404View attachment 767405View attachment 767406View attachment 767407 Looks like I found the right thread for this restoration project. This vehicle appears to be a MAN KAT1 5Ton (correct me if I'm wrong). A friend of mine purchased this former US ARMY truck about 3 years ago in Reno Nevada from GP. He had some other projects to finish first, and now would like to start restoring this vehicle but, he needs manuals (Parts, Service, Operators) preferably in English, but will take them in German. He will also need a parts source here in the States or in Europe. The truck looks to be mostly complete, but the running condition is unknown. One source said these trucks were in service with the USAF & US ARMY in the 70s and 80s. This truck is the only one I recall seeing in the states, and am curious if there are others in private hands.
The Pershing 2 missile system and later Patriot Missile system used them. When Pershing went belly up in 1991, the army looked around for someplace to use the MAN trucks. They were parceled out to several different units, Patriot for one. We had a shortage of HEMTT's, mainly tractors, but some cargoes also in theater. But that was the only two type units I saw with my own two eyes. I logged more then a few hundred miles with the tractor. I was in the Theater Maintenance unit for Patriot and Hawk. We were low man on the totem pole for equipment. We had all the float Patriot equipment in Europe, and for the middle east also, but no way to deliver to the customer in Germany. Or tow things to Ramstein for shipment to the Middle east. They always had to bring there broke crap to us, (or we had to beg for a tractor to tow from Ramstein) and take a serviceable one back to the barn. We picked up about 10-11 tractors.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, call me in the morning, @ 11:00 or so. Will walk you through posting in the TM forum.

Guy
Thank You both for the effort, it is much appreciated! [thumbzup] Also looking for a parts source for MAN Trucks. Preferably Stateside.

Migginsbros

View attachment 767410View attachment 767411View attachment 767412View attachment 767413View attachment 767414 A few more pictures. Is anyone familiar with the logo on the door?? If it is relevant to the trucks history, we might like to include it when the trucks repainted.
The red logo is perhaps a tribute to the Fox M93A1 Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Reconnaissance System

or to the german 1A8 FUCHS IMG_7307.jpgIMG_7304.jpgIMG_7305.jpgIMG_7306.jpg

just an idea.

Btw tried to upload the MAN Kat I TM´s with the help from Guyfang. Can´t upload from my computers nor my cellphone.
Guy will try it for us later.:-D

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, I now look like Fritz the Cat, after sticking his head into a Nuke detonation. Chris, the files are tooooooooooooooo big to upload into the forum. Tried for an hour. Its no wonder you couldn't send them. There might be one small enough to send. I can reduce the quality of the print, but then you can't read the darn thing. That makes no sense.

So, Tracer, send me a PM with your email address. I will send you 5 manuals.

Anyone who wants them, I am ready to provide them to an Email address. Or you can send me a thumb drive and address. You pay postage.

Tracer, I would suggest starting another thread, with the 5 TON, MAN KAT1 truck heading. Ask for the manuals. Then I can write you with this message. That way folks might be able to find this info easier.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
One may e-mail really large files thru google drive right from your email (over 20mb) if the recipient has google they can read it and download it. Sender gets to pick who may view it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Frank,

May need to get my son to help with this. The parts manual is 50+ MEG. I got all the other 4 books sent, had to reduce on. But even after reducing the parts book, it was tooooooo large. Maybe I can split the book! Will try that now.

Another Ahab

Ahab, this could be fun. I'm here biting my nails hoping I don't screw this up!!
You plain are NOT going to screw up a thing, Brother Tracer.

It's all good.

All of us here are behind you, through the Good, the Bad (if the gods will it), and even the Ugly (we've all been there)!

And besides, don't want all this good popcorn going to waste...

AA.gif

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guy I have all the texts downloaded and they're stored on my desk top. I think I need to start looking for someone to translate these manuals into English. Should I copy them on a disc and have them translated by a reliable party, and then printed in English for the mechanics? Then I can down load them off the disc and onto the Steel Soldiers TM section. Your thoughts! Brother Ahab keep that popcorn popping we aint crossed the finish line yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks