• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MAN KAT US owners?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......... The owner died last year, his now almost 90 year old older brother (who sells the deuces and 5-tons), is still going strong. .......
Yep, last time I was there in September 2018. They are liquidating rapidly though. A lot of trucks are out.

situation according google maps from the last years, a horrible clean, neat, and empty space.

Compare this, below, with the situation from an early image from a decade or more ago

IMG_3332.JPG

Especially have a look at the old image for the mess in front of the chimney stack. Now, that is completely empty, as you can see below.
IMG_3328-2018.jpg

Migginsbros

Sounds good.

Chris, do you know anyone who works at MAN? Someone we might ask if MAN ever translated these books into English? Might be worth a shot. If they haven't, the Tracer might try this company. Or has anyone even asked that question before?
We hardly know anyone at MAN. Those spareparts staff is not amused searching parts for the "old" trucks8)
But I ask at the www.kat-forum.de if anyone has an idea for manuals in english.
We will see about that.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracer, where did you get that video and from which year is it? You were at the place personally, also in the back yard?

reomie-may-2011_29.JPG

The same line of trucks as on your video, taken from the other side left to right (see the special roof in the background of both video and picture). This was taken in May 2011.

IMG_3349.JPG

and how it looked in September 2018

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracer, where did you get that video and from which year is it? You were at the place personally, also in the back yard?

View attachment 768257

The same line of trucks as on your video, taken from the other side left to right (see the special roof in the background of both video and picture). This was taken in May 2011.

View attachment 768266

and how it looked in September 2018
Robo I got the video off of You Tube. There are some interesting videos concerning Military Vehicles on You Tube. Also I'm not sure what year the video I posted was taken.

Guyfang

Staff member
https://books.google.com/books?id=U...ECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=TO 36A12-1C-461-1&f=false

I know. We are not supposed to use links. But this old man can not figure out how to down load this TM. Its the -20, Operators manual for the 10 ton, M1001, M1002, M1013 and M1014 MAN Tractor. The cab, and systems, along with most of the sub systems and most parts should be the same as the MAN Kat1 truck. All you smart guys can figure out how to download it, and put it in the TM forum. Sorry, I am up to my patooty in getting my taxes done and sent in.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://books.google.com/books?id=U...ECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=TO 36A12-1C-461-1&f=false

I know. We are not supposed to use links. But this old man can not figure out how to down load this TM. Its the -20, Operators manual for the 10 ton, M1001, M1002, M1013 and M1014 MAN Tractor. The cab, and systems, along with most of the sub systems and most parts should be the same as the MAN Kat1 truck. All you smart guys can figure out how to download it, and put it in the TM forum. Sorry, I am up to my patooty in getting my taxes done and sent in.
Guy, I just finished mine, you have my deepest sympathy.

Migginsbros

If they're really good (and short), you got to post them!

You know, please?!
Not short but you can skip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHtawTVTN34&feature=youtu.beSorry, no other language available.:driver::driver:

Btw, had a call at my nearest MAN truck and bus center. The have no idea about manuals in english for the early Kat I.
Nothing new came from the Kat forum.
But I will go to the MAN workshop early in the morning these days and try to get one of the mechanics. Try to make it next week.8)

Another Ahab

Not short but you can skip. Sorry, no other language available.
That's great, Miginsbros, thanks!

5 minutes is like my outside limit for vids, so it's perfect.

Also I like the sound of German (that's was German, right, not Dutch or something else?).

Check out the vid between 3:35 - 3:37. The guy hits a button labelled "Sprinkler" (in English, right?). What's that about?!

Product of the UK, or USA? Or is it the same word in German?!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is working the track control module there with which he can start or stop or variate the different rood conditions like the fountains spraying up putting everything under water without fountains or other ways how to make the track wetter or whatever. Would not be surprised if he can raise or lower these pedestrian speed bumps as well. About 30 years ago I saw a video of the MAN testing facility for trying out the road stability of the 8x8 MAN. That road was something like a concrete washboard with counter-wave ridges. They were driving slowly but those wheels were like over 4 feet in height difference, like left front at zero, left second at - 1 feet left rear first at +2 feet and left rear rear at -2 feet. Crazy to see but the truck was rather horizontal throughout that experience.

Two video's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QABUzUCz-Hg

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApLOn2YB47k

Took me a minute to realize the second one is with model trucks, but they are doing great.

Migginsbros

To return to Tracers topic, no english version of the Kat I (the early Kat version) TM´s /TDv available. Sounds like they delivered to the german Bundeswehr, only.
One member use google translater and this will work for him. He don´t speak any german words, he said.

So this will be a "cold case" for now.:driver:8)

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And UK to German or German to UK is the best of google's translations.

Sometimes I write something in UK and let Google translate it in Czech. Most people start laughing or ask what the heck this is, then say they do not understand a word of it.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried to get hold of Alex again today, but he's still out chasing parts. His secratery said he may be in on the Fri. 28th or Mon. 30th.

Guyfang

Staff member
Just uploaded the operators TM for the M1001, M1002, M1013 and M1014 MAN, 10 Ton tractors. It is very similar to the MAN KAT 5 Ton. The controls and such should correspond to the MAN KAT 5 Ton. Still working on the German manuals. I think I have more success when I upload during the hours you all are asleep. I have been the last few weeks going crazy with US taxes, and Cherry Madness.

Cherry Madness is when the cherry's are ripe, and you have to pick them. If it rains during that time, fold up the tents and go home. Didn't have any help, so 6-8 hours in the trees a day. If I see, smell, taste or touch another cherry, I will vomit. BUT, I have my 110 liters of mash, and hope its going to be a fine year to make schnapps!

Another Ahab

I just used google translator on Monday. My son just laughed and laughed. Tore up my "translated" document, and rewrote it.
And UK to German or German to UK is the best of google's translations.

Sometimes I write something in UK and let Google translate it in Czech. Most people start laughing or ask what the heck this is, then say they do not understand a word of it.
Translation is tricky.

The U.S. author Mark Twain made fun back in the 19th Century of translation errors.

It was about his story "The Jumping Frog of Calaveras County", kind of funny (he was a funny guy):

http://translation-blog.trustedtranslations.com/mark-twains-back-translation-2008-10-27.html

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks