• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Man, you guys can talk!

Armada

Hiya boys. I just got back from hunting. I can't believe all the posts in just 20 days! It's going to take me a week of reading to catch up! ;) I must say I had withdrawels not being able to access the site.
We had a successful trip. I've got some great pics to post soon. We didn't get the snow dump like we did last year, in fact, just the opposite. It was in the 40's to 50's during the day, and even got above 60 a couple times. Warm weather is not conducive to deer hunting.
Anyway, I'm glad to be back!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you guys living in the GP Medium? Man, I need one here, mine is still in Ohio.

citizensoldier

Hey Paul. Sorry I missed you when I was down. I too cant wait for the pictures. I will be down your way next week returning a tow bar. Maybe we can hook up for lunch or something. You could have hunted in my back yard and helped work on the five ton!! Had two buck back ther eating pumpkins.. Tried to run one over the other morning.. How big is he this year??? Kinda wierd weather ahe? Snowstorm in October and T shirts in November??? Its the end of the world I'm telling ya!! :p rofl :D

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah we hunted last weekend and it was up in the 60's in WV too. The deer could probably smell my sweaty self for miles!

Welcome back!

ida34

Welcome back Paul. How many did you get? I was called in to work my day off on the weekend I had planned to go up north hunting so I did not even make it out at all.

reblawyer

Ya'll oughta try hunting down here in South Mississippi, its been in the upper 70's with 200% humidity. I am sure that the deer can smell the fresh blood drawn by the mosquitoes. Looking forward to the 30's this weekend.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well tell us about the hunting? also you saying deer eat pumpkins? I shoot alot but never been hunting. except once for armadillos at night with a handgun. That didn't turn out too well, next time I will take the night vision goggles.

citizensoldier

Yep deer love pumpkins. Up here they like sugar beats, apples, and anything else they can chew on. I raised dear long ago and one buck would pick the Red Man chew out of my pocket and loved it! They also like to chew the handles off fishing poles and one did battle with my stand up freezer!! Even had another one open the sliding door and chew the handle off the fridge. All they are is overgrown bunnies.. :p
In rut they will kill you though. You can take a deer you hand fed from birth and could almost ride like a horse. If and when he is in rut he will come after you like a raging bull with death in his eyes!
I gather up the holloween pumpkins and make a bait pile behind the house so I can watch them. Kinda fun.

Armada

OK, finally have some pictures to post. Here is the link to last years pics for the new guys.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3310
I was the only one to get a deer. I saw 5 bucks total during the 2 weeks, and none were bigger than a 6 pt. It was too warm, the deer weren't moving.
This was the first year for our new GP medium tent also. Courtesy of GL. No more canvas. The new style is 2' wider and 4' longer, 18'x36'. Our old canvas GP medium served us well for many years and will be missed, but this one is a very nice upgrade.
No dueces were driven this year. One brother drove his M1009, another brother his jeep, I drove my pick-up, and we hauled 2 m101 trailers and an m416 1/4t trailer.
First some pics of the tent.

Lane, get ahold of me before you come down and we'll hook up.

Attachments

citizensoldier

Well how was it setting up that new fandangle tent? Did it breath well for ya ? I will get ahold of you before I head down or as I am doing so. Many things in the air and we will see what lands first. Must go to Port Huron and return Rizzo's tow bar some time this week.
Nice pictures.. Wheres the fawn I mean deer you shot? Thanks for the offer on the head bolt wrench I ended up ordering one because I would need it anyway. Exspensive little bugger for what they are but it would be hard to do it wouthout it.. I will be in touch.

citizensoldier

good eater anyway..Nice looking trailer exspecialy that spare tire. Heheheheh. Looks like you had fun. You ready for a 5 ton yet? Make you a deal on a nice dump truck??? You can sqeeze it in behind your garage.You read the post about that guy in Fenton? You know him? Thought about stopping by and chating with him...See you soon.

Armada

Yeah, no big bruiser this year.
It went up ok. Took a bit longer to put up than the canvas one, but it was only the second time we assembled it. 2 guys can put it up in just over an hour. We burned wood and coal, and ran a fan to circulate the heat, so it kept it pretty dry inside. Hardly any sweating on the walls. Of course it wasn't brutally cold out either. We set it up in snow, so it took a good 2-3 days to dry out the ground inside. We don't put a floor down.
The white interior and windows make a big difference.
Power was supplied by 'old faithful', the Wisconsin-Robin diesel generator. It used just over 5 jerry cans of fuel. Nearly 170 hours was put on it. It never missed a beat.
Let me know what day you might be passing through, Lane, so I can plan on being around. Bring your stock too. We can go talk to the guy in Fenton. I want to know more about all those 5t's he talked about.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm? Black Velvet and Bushes baked beens, and bunkbeds! Microwave, Tv, DVD, Coffee pot,woodstove ,Etc..... Must have been fun! That is a great way to camp/hunt! Oh yeah, MV's too!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow you guys had fun! I like the wheels on that generator set. Must make it easy to move outdoors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks