• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manafacturer Needed

omega231

Organization:HQ 200TH REGT (LDR) Location:FT MCCLELLAN,
ALABAMA
Nomenclature:

TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:
M35A2 NSN:
2320000771616 Serial Number:
52516376 Registration Number:
4M09770 Year of Mfg:
1970 Usage Miles: 9450
Info July 96

the above is info. i got from the great CARNAC. unfortunately it is lacking the manafacturer. can anyone help me out on this?

GoHot229

Heres a thought to add to this question, typically the info is in the dash plates as to the builder, one of several builders, but lacking the dash plate would motor brand designate a body builder? for instance my AMG has a White, would another Model brand Deuce be built with another parent brand motor? so as a way to determine Body Builder Brand?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The truck in question was built by Kaiser-Jeep. IF a truck had its originally factory-installed engine it might be possible to correlate that to the truck manufacturer - but relatively few of these trucks have their original engines.

HTH,
David Doyle

omega231

thanks for the info man. the truck has numerous parts with an AMG tag on them, but i figured it would be better to ask. i guessed that during its 40 years of service, it was highly likely that some of the parts were replaced.

vj

dd hello

dd . just a word how its going, will you be at hall show. also we got a 2 day event a shiloh, 23 24 memorial day so hope you might can drop by. so email if can. wendell

omega231

thanks for that heads up. will make it a lot easier to figure things out in the future. out of curiosity, i have one other deuce that the info plates in the cab state is a REO Motors production. wht are the possible years that this truck could have been made in?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
dd . just a word how its going, will you be at hall show. also we got a 2 day event a shiloh, 23 24 memorial day so hope you might can drop by. so email if can. wendell
Sorry to say I will miss both of those - I'm "on the road again...."

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
thanks for that heads up. will make it a lot easier to figure things out in the future. out of curiosity, i have one other deuce that the info plates in the cab state is a REO Motors production. wht are the possible years that this truck could have been made in?
The army purchased hundreds, if not thousands, or replacement data plates from Reo. Through the years, they have been applied rather broadly to trucks of all makes. So, just cause the plate says Reo doesn't mean it IS a Reo - in fact, in my estimation there exists today more faux Reos than real ones.

The true test is the manufacturer's serial number stamped in the frame. Real Reos have a 6-digit all numeric number.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
David,

Tried to shoot you a PM but you, like a bunch of us, have a full PM box.

Sure would be nice if we had a 200 email limit once we made it to a certain number of posts or rank or something.

Will try again later.

omega231

i see... i heard that REO motors trucks were rare. Serial number and VIN are the same thing right? heres all the info i got on the plate:

NSN: 2320-00-077-1616
Identifiacation No.:129842

i dunno if it means anything but this is the only one of six trucks that has the 00 before the 077.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Data plate numbers mean nothing unless they match the frame numbers, then they mean everything. Not a REO expert but all the Studes I've ever had, had a S/N like this MXXXXX. Example is my M108 is M30708. Can't recall off the top of my head but it's M3???? on my M59

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Data plate numbers mean nothing unless they match the frame numbers, then they mean everything. Not a REO expert but all the Studes I've ever had, had a S/N like this MXXXXX. Example is my M108 is M30708. Can't recall off the top of my head but it's M3???? on my M59

Indeed, all the Studes I've examined have a SN beginning with M, followed by five numerals. (incidentally, so do the C-W, U-B, and S-P i.e. all the South Bend-built trucks prior to Kaiser-Jeep.) All the Reo (and Lansing Division of White; i.e., all the Lansing-built trucks) I've examined have a six-digit all numeric number SN that begins with 1.

Be aware, however, I have a photo of an apparent authentic Reo plate for a M108 with a SN beginning with M - so, there are still some things to be learned.

HTH,
David Doyle

Exciting things are happening with Supply Line, the MVPA magazine.

anthony3478

Indeed, all the Studes I've examined have a SN beginning with M, followed by five numerals. (incidentally, so do the C-W, U-B, and S-P i.e. all the South Bend-built trucks prior to Kaiser-Jeep.) All the Reo (and Lansing Division of White; i.e., all the Lansing-built trucks) I've examined have a six-digit all numeric number SN that begins with 1.

Be aware, however, I have a photo of an apparent authentic Reo plate for a M108 with a SN beginning with M - so, there are still some things to be learned.

HTH,
David Doyle

Exciting things are happening with Supply Line, the MVPA magazine.
Is there a way to detrrmine manufacturer by serial #, or by other means??

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, what year or part thereof was GPD a factor or do you still consider that Kaiser Jeep? I thought GPD was in 1970. Thanks for the info on the studes!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
General Products Division existed from March of 1970 through March of 1971.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
"Supply Line" is changing - check it out!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Is there a way to detrrmine manufacturer by serial #, or by other means??

Although I have compiled the data on literally thousands of deuces, I do not have enough data amassed yet to feel comfortable publishing a "master list"

The most common vehicles in the collector market came from the South Bend plant.

Those that begin with M are broken out earlier. Those that came from Kaiser-Jeep can be broadly broken out as follows. SN beginning with 06 and up were made by AM General. Those with a SN beginning with 04 and down were built by Kaiser-Jeep. 05 is the tough one, and could be Kaiser-Jeep, General Products Division or AM General.

I am getting closer to being able to break those out with a chart, but am not there yet.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks