• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual Glow Plug Switch

The Baron

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=445122&d=1367612151

Hey guys I have a 1984 M1009. I have the Delco 60gs and I wanted to make the manual conversion so that I could heat them up a little longer like they need. I'm no electrician and don't want to make a stupid mistake that would fry my truck, but looking at this diagram it looks like all I have to do is put a wire to the glow plug relay, to 30 amp switch, and then simply ground it. Is that really all I have to do? Also where would be a good spot to ground it?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct.

All you need to do is "add" a wire to the small light blue wire, include a switch and then attach the wire to ground.

Push the button, gounding the relay coil and the GPs energize.

You can ground the wire anywhere. There is a 6 legged ground connector next to the parking brake.

If you are using the 60s, I would recommend that you remove the BIG resistor pack and rewire the the power supply to the GP relay from the stock 24v to 12v.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 10 amp switch is more than enough and a 20 amp pushbutton is overkill.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also just wait 5 extra seconds after your wait light goes out or turn the ignition swith back off and on again to cylcle them twice.

I've never needed to manually control the AC60Gs in my truck.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They just don't heat until they are destroyed.

You can manually power them on and certainly hold them on longer than the controller does.

Do you need to? I don't.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12F today.

It will be -15 Fri.

I let my truck sit for days, and it always starts when I need it to.

trooper632

I have done several and I unhook the blue wire, Do I not need to unhook the blue wire?, All of mine work fine the way I have done it.

tbearatkin

19 degrees this morning, turned key on, wait light on, pressed accelerator pedal to floor and waited until wait light went out. GP do not stop working at this point as my battery gauge is still in the yellow telling me the GP are still heating up. I start the truck and it started within 3 seconds. After about another min or two the gauge then moves into the green area and I hear the relay turn off. I have AC60 GP and all are still good after a year.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds perfect to me!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done several and I unhook the blue wire, Do I not need to unhook the blue wire?, All of mine work fine the way I have done it.
You do not need to disconnect it.

By disconnecting it, you are disabling the controller card.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks