• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual Lockup Converter?

spicergear

Is it possible to put a switch or manually control converter lock up in these transmissions? I think part of the reason these trucks start having flywheel breakage issues is because of locked converter ESPECIALLY on the down shifts. I know mine can be a bit jarring on downshift now and then and having more control of the lockup to soften things here and there would be nice. They offer kits for the 1000's but I know there are way differently controlled.

I don't want to turn this into another adjustment post, so please try to keep it on the topic. Thanks!

MtnSnow

I would think there is a way to manually control the lock up just for the fact that when you press the button on the transfer-case lever it causes the converter to lockup

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the 900 series, right? My buddy and I went to an offroad park and after that, his was shifting down really hard. Before the trip, it shifted down a lot easier. He figured out his one cable was stuck a little and he lubed it up and didnt have an issue after that. I would try to make sure that the cables are well lubed up/moving free and adjusted to spec before doing any modifications personally. All respect to what you want to do, but that was my experience with the 900 series shifting down hard. I hope this helps.

spicergear

MtnSnow, Interesting...I never took notice to that. Thanks!

Tom, I'll lube up the cables. I know it shifts smoother once warmed up, but I still think it would be nice to have to added control. This is a little different, but on my car, it uses the overdrive to split gears and will engage the overdrive (which is a small clutch pack similar to a motorcycle's) and wear them out. I started shifting the od manually and lifting when doing so. After 180,000mi on the rebuild and shifting like that, the steels still had the machine marks on them and the fibers were only like .005" less than the new ones. I'll check the cables and see if it helps. Thanks!

spicergear

Oh, I'd like to add that a lot of times I'm in low range after maybe going farm to farm and slowing down. So I know the transfer case reduction isn't helping but when it shifts down it can be pretty jarring. Sometimes I can catch it with a rev and smooth it out, but if the converter would be unlocked, it would be a softer downshift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks