• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual tranny in CUCV

Jetnoise400

Anything is possible...

Now, assuming we're talking about a Blazer here....

If I were to attempt such a conversion, I would track down a manual 4x4 Chevy truck of a similar vintage and pull all the goodies off it for the conversion. Finding all the gear boxes, brackets, pedals and other required drive train parts could prove to be very expensive and time consuming as well...

I think you'd also wind up with a 203(bad) or 205(good) transfer case, as I'm not sure they put the 208 behind a manual box. And be ready to do some crossmember swapping too. They'll almost certainly be different. Plus, after it's all said and done, be prepared to replace your driveshafts.

Me personally, I would shy away from it as it's a big and pricey job to do the swap (and I'm lazy and cheap :lol:), there are already trucks on the street set up with a manual box that would be easier to just buy that way, and I'm not big on modifying MVs... but hey, that's just one man's opinion and you know what they say about opinions... :)

mangus580

The Swap is pretty easy considering the civilian version used it a lot. It's not eyen an expensive swap if youjunkyard . As far as the 208 vs. the 203 or the 205, Starting in 1981 they used the 208 behind the sticks.

Jetnoise400

Thanks for the assist Mike... I wasn't sure about the t/c stuff. And it's very true, the parts are all out there. Chevy built nearly every truck in every configuration you can think of over the years... so interchange is pretty easy.

And congrats on the new baby! [thumbzup]

appalacious

Definite congratulations- those are fun times. My 2nd is just 3 mos. old.
So I guess the trick, if I want to do this, is to get a donor blazer from a junkyard- make the swap- and then sell the junk truck back to the junkyard.

Sounds cool...wonder when I'll have the time to do it. Actually I have plenty of time, just need money and a SHOP! whats a boy to do...
J

mangus580

I might be able to locate the Clutch/ Brake pedal. I have a friend who has a junk one. It's more a matter of, if I want to mess with it.