• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

manualing turning stuck mep-003 engine

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a stuck engine on a 003 and have reading the threads on hand turning it. Is there some other way to turn over other than the bolt on the end of the blower. I tried that today and didn't like cranking down on that small of a bolt. I don't want to add to my trouble. I'm going to pull the injectors and add MM Oil for a few days. Thanks

R Racing

I haven't worked on a MPE 003 Yet but was wondering if you could try using a pry bar on the starter fly wheel . or compressed air thru the injector hole ? Good luck !

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I need to look for an opening around the ring gear to use a pry bar. I'm not too sure about the air trick, never tried it before. I've got a few days to let the oil do it's thing, so I'll figure something out. That bolt on the end just doesn't seem big enough to lean on.

love-horsepower

stuck

take out glow plugs make sure not hydraulic locked w/ fuel or water . then spray lubracoat made by rectorseal it has yet failed to take anythiung loose i have sprayed it on if i can let it soak for a couple of days

PeterD

If you are lucky... (wish everyone was)

Remove glow plugs.
Pour in a small amount of 50/50 mixed ATF and Acetone. Turn engine so the pistons are down if possible.

Lightly screw in the glow plugs to prevent evaporation.

Let sit for a day or two or three.

Remove glow plugs.

Try to pry the crank over a bit. Work it back and forth.

Over the years I've broken free some massively stuck engines successfully. Usually a combination of things work to free them including the Acetone/ATF trick. If the head is off, light tapping on the piston can help too--the shocks help vibrate things loose.

But once it moves a tiny bit, just go back and forth and things should free up.

(instead of ATF/Acetone, you can use Kroil, which is excellent too... Both WD-40 and PB don't work worth a hoot, IMHO, and should not be even tried.)

ichudov

Lots of penetrating oil in cylinders

Let sit for a few days

Then use a pipe wrench on the shaft if you can get to it.

I also would not use the bolt.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SUCCESS!! Just got one to turn over. I didn't want to put alot of torque on the 5/8 th bolt on the end of the crank, so I made a plate that fit inside the blower and drilled three holes to match the three studs and nuts that hold the blower on { I think }. I then welded a large nut right in the center of the plate . The plate slips over the three nuts and I bolted it down on the studs. Using a 1 7/16 ths socket, 3/4 drive and alittle bump, it turned right over. I did squirt some oil down the glow plug holes as told to this morning and it worked great. If any of you guys that have a mep-003 look at the blower guard, you will see what I'm trying to say.
As soon my son teachs me how to up load pictures, I will. If anyone is in the same fix just let me know and I can send the tool to you, it really worked great. Thanks for all the suggestions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks