• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Many Power Outages in North Carolina

Triple Jim

We got a lot of rain, ice pellets, and some freezing rain in the last half a day or so. The power went off here at 3:15 AM and I ran the 003A for a couple hours until it came back on. Late this morning it went off again and Progress Energy has so many outages in NC they're not even estimating when they will have power restored. The online outage map shows a real mess, and I'm lucky to have the generator keeping things normal here. Anyone else running a generator today?

http://outagemap.duke-energy.com/ncsc/default.html

dangier

We used to have regular outages from hours to days. Now that I have everything set up and working, we won't have one for a long while. Good luck with yours. Enjoy the run time.... :)
David

Triple Jim

We got commercial power back about 6:30, so it was off about eight hours. I'm starting to really appreciate the MEP-003A now. There are still many places without power, so I hope they get it back soon. We heat with wood, but my 92 year old father lives with us in a sort of apartment, and that needs electricity for heat. The generator saved us having to rearrange his day. Only deep wells here, but in an emergency I can boil lake water on the wood stove. We normally keep 10 gallons or so of drinking water on hand. Also the backup backup generator is a Coleman 4400 watt screamer.

Last edited:

zout

not trying to be a dick here - just asking as there is lots of stuff posted just to chat away - at least you cleared it up for me and I do not mean anything - thx - like to hear the Gen stuff for self reliance FWIW

storeman

not trying to be a dick here - just asking as there is lots of stuff posted just to chat away - at least you cleared it up for me and I do not mean anything - thx - like to hear the Gen stuff for self reliance FWIW
Sometimes we just like to commiserate on the value of our efforts to resurrect these machines. Seems to add value to our cooperative efforts.
Jerry:grd:

wb1895

We lost power this morning around 6:30 am. Hooked up the 003a and ran the house off of it for about 4 hours, before the power came back on. The generator was a VERY valuable asset with having a 4 month old in the house. My elderly parents are without power also, They have a small consumer gas generator, but it is only big enough to keep the heat going, so if they are still without power in the morning I am going to take the 003A over there and hook it up.

Triple Jim

Sounds good, WB. Let's hope power is back on for them by morning, but it's great you can help if it's not. The ice seems to have melted from the trees here now.

Its good to hear that your Military genset is saving the day, perhaps again. When I got my 002 some people looked at me like I was wasting my time and money. My cousin even commented "what do you think the world is gonna end" Well I was nice and comfy when Irene rolled through and knocked out power. Didn't sweat it when we had that freako ice storm at Halloween either. Then came Sandy. Everybody up here in the northeast was without power from days to weeks for some. My 002 chugged right along until we were able to get utility power back.
After Sandy I picked up a second 55 gallon drum. Not going to hurt sitting on a hundred gallons of Diesel. And I can rotate the fuel too by filling the deuce and maintain reasonably fresh Diesel in the drums. If anyone is thinking about it, you might want to consider putting your MEP in a shed. I did to mine and let me tell you, The noise reduction was HUGE. Plus it keeps the machine out of the weather.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks