• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marine Corps or Army M37?

greeno

Guys - this has been bugging me all week about the M37: on the dash plate, it is marked "ORD CORPS". On the hood, you can see under the last OD paint job, US ARMY...and the big white star is a tell-tale ARMY sign.

After much time spent searching SS and G741, I've come to the conclusion that this truck is missing many tell-tale CORPS features (no paper clips, no rear light brackets, etc) and most likely never saw a leatherneck (until pops drove it).

Does anyone have any insight as to what may have happened between marking the dash plate ORD CORPS and what grandpa brought home from the auction?

Attachments

135gmc

Back in those days, the USMC was towards the bottom of the military food chain when it came to vehicles. I think you will find that the USMC had vehicles from every other branch of the service as well as vehicles specifically built for them. The truck may have finished its service as USMC, but it may have started elsewhere. The USAF was the same - my old M-37 was painted AF blue, but under the blue paint, it was painted OD and lettered for the Army

Tanner

Designation stands for 'Ordnance Corp'

The U.S. Army Ordnance Corps mission is to support the development, production, acquisition, and sustainment of weapon systems, ammunition, missiles, electronics, and ground mobility material during peace and war to provide combat power to the U.S. Army.

'Tanner'

majorhitt

Most of what you said was missing is not easy to remove without leaving some sort of a trace. The paperclips on the front bumper is one. look for grind marks.

greeno

Tanner - just to be clear, ORD CORPS doesn't stand for the Marines, it stands for Army Ordinance? That would make the most sense.

greeno

Thanks! What are the Marine trucks marked as?

(I know, this seems like such a noob question, but i can't find any post that explains the dash markings real well)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks