• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marines...... Good Experience or Bad???

N1265

The Marine Corps was very good to me,and it was good for me. I spent 4 years on AD and 2 years on AR. It was by far the worst of times and the best of times. It is no cake walk, but you can rest assured that if you can make a good career out of the marine corps you can make a good career out of anything.

The people who have posted before me are right in the respect that you MUST take a good look at your situation and do some sole searching when deciding on why you want to go into the military ( any branch ). I will tell you right now that if you want to join a service where you are most likely to retire from to join the air force. There is no shame in doing so. because their mission is so drastically different they simply have more " 9 to 5" type jobs than any other service and therefore your home life will be as close as "normal" as possible and your chances of obtaining your goal of staying in long enough to retire are greater. This is a Fact, the Air Force has a higher retention rate than any other service.

The secret of being a Marine is that you have to WANT it 24/7 while in boot camp....The secret to having a good experience in the Marines is that you have to be in the "Corps" frame of mind. You should also have a knack of staying out of trouble. Because while in the Corps you can find yourself in trouble for things you never knew existed, Things that are petty in the civilian world are a mortal sin in the Corps. You will always be held to a higher standard. You must consider this and not take it lightly when making your decision.

For me the hardest part of being a Marine was not the physical part, But the Mental part. This is also why I found it easier on active duty than in the reserves..... It was easy to play the role as a Marine day after day once you are in the "Corps" frame of mind, once you are in the right frame of mind it is easier to stay there. But to be a civilian 28 days of the month and then go into a grueling 2 day training schedule playing the " Hard Azz "
PLT- SGT. trying to keep other Marines at their best was one of the toughest things I ever had to do.

If you are normal, While in Boot Camp you will try to find an easy way out. You will have all sorts of thoughts run threw your head on how you can get a medical discharge or maybe have your congressman pull some strings to get you contract dissolved..... But if you overcome these second thoughts, and are found worthy to carry the title of UNITED STATES MARINE Then pride that you will carry for the rest of your life is undescribable....

AJMBLAZER

kcimb could answer many of the questions on here as he went to bootcamp around the end of last year and is, I believe, in his technical school right now.

I served four years 97-01 and loved and hated it. I'm proud as hell that I was a Marine and it was literally the best choice I ever made (don't tell the wife). As someone else said if I hadn't of joined the Marines I'd probably have not made it to the legal drinking age.

Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coasties, Boy Scouts, whoever make sure your MOS is in writing and ask for a copy of that before you go. You can literally walk out of MEPS with no strings if they haven't gotten you the guaranteed MOS you want. Being that mechanics are in need and we're getting new vehicles I doubt you'd have much trouble becoming a MT or HE mechanic's MOS.

That said...some of your questions make me wonder if you're thinking about this because you want to be a Marine or if you want to be the guy in the fancy uniform? Don't go into this half cocked because the recruiters won't care after you head off to bootcamp, it's the drill instructor's problem there.

A-You won't get killed in bootcamp unless some freak accident occurs or you have a medical condition. Those are the only ways any recruits have been killed in decades.

B-If you have your MOS number guaranteed in writing at the time you go to MEPS to head off to bootcamp then you're golden. Only in a war emergency would that change. All Marines are rifleman so even after bootcamp, tech school, and arriving at your maintenance unit you could still end up shooting up muj heads in Afghanistan or Iraq.

C-You will be going to war. The Marine Corps is heavily involved in the War on Terror and despite what some morons might say even if Obama wins we'll be fighting over in the middle east somewhere for a good long while.

halftrack

MarineTracs said:
my69camaro, no offense intended, but from your posts I think I would suggest looking at another branch of the service. You seem very preoccupied about ironclad guarantees and assurances. Most of us joined the Corps because we wanted to be Marines, first, last and foremost. We thought, either rightly or wrongly, that they were the best and we wanted to be part of it. We had some strong hopes for training and assignment in a specific field, but we knew that it probably would not be permanent for our entire time in. In other words, even if you get the MOS that you want, if the Corps needs or wants you somewhere else, that is where you will go. I was only a Reservist, but in my six years I had three different MOS'.
I went through boot camp at Parris Island in 1969. Things were a little different then than they are now. However, none of us were killed or died in basic. With the situation of the world today, Reservists are regularly being called up for active duty. And active duty today (Reserve or Regular) very frequently equates to a tour (or two) in 'less than friendly' places. Like Vietnam of 40 years ago, there is no 'behind the lines' area of safety. And always remember that as a Marine, you are a rifleman first.
Again, no offense intended, but I think your setting so many pre-conditions for entry into the Corps indicates that it may be best for you to try elsewhere.
As for me, I've been out since 1975 and I still consider myself a Marine (although a late middle aged fat Marine) and I still rise for the Marine Corps Hymn!!!
Well said MarineTracs.

To answer the previous post about the reserves and to put it best "Its the best of both worlds". In the reserves you can usually do as much "active time" as you want or just do the minimum weekend a month thing. However, due to the changing type of conflicts the United States is currently involved in, currently the Marine Reserves are on constant rotation to Iraq and other missions that would be in the past just active duty. No one is safe from not doing a tour in Iraq or elsewhere. I have reserve units that are on their 3rd rotation already.

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
You indicated you were "reasonably fit". Here is the Marine Corps physical fitness requirements:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm

MINIMUM requirements:
3 pull ups from a dead hang (I'll bet you have difficulty)
50 crunches in 2 minutes (sit-ups)
3 mile run in 28 minutes

The paper you sign might indicate four (4) years, BUT you have an eight (8) year obligation no matter what service you join. (Read the fine print)

By the way, after you complete the PT in the morning, THEN YOUR DAY WILL BEGIN.
I trained with a group of Marines while in the U.S. Army Ranger School at Fort Benning, Georgia.
Bunch of crazy bastards.......I loved every one of them!
The morning began at "oh-dark-30" with the "daily dozens" (PT)...then the confidence course....then a five (5) mile run (still in the dark). Then we went to breakfast, and began the day.
I was just trying to survive. Every time we did any exercises, we had to add one for the "Big Ranger In The Sky", and then that bunch of Marines would do an extra one for "The Corps".....give a big grin and drive on.
The Few....The Proud....The Marines.

maritimer

while i am not US i do have a familiarty with the canadian forces , regretably its only through friends and family. thatnks to a messy at work accident that left my right leg dead from the knee downbefore i finished my highschool. my mother is in her 30th year serving first 20 where served in the navy reg force, and the last ten have been served arty reserve. dad and step dad both served full 20 year contracts, and the majority of my friends are either currently in the sand or just getting out of it.

make sure you are enlisting because you want it for what it is, not for the fancy uniforms. regardless of the branch you go in. like every government get everything in writing before you sign on the dotted line. as for frontline stuff or cleaning crappers out, well as property of your respected government you go where they need you and do as they need you to. serving aint for everyone and those that make hasty decision or base there choice to enlist on the cool uniform or signing bonus's are usualy the ones who hate being there after basic.

i cant say what the US service works like for MOS assignment but when i tried enlisting the last 2 times with the canadian forces they give you the choice of MOS and if there isnt a slot then you sit on a waiting list till one opeens at which point they allocate that position to you and you start your basic, or you are given the option to select another MOS.

whatever you decide make sure you do it for the right reasons.
remember recruiters are salsmen trying to sell you on service life, take it with a grain of salt ;)

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my69camaro,

I joined the Marine Corps in September 1980. I did 4 years active duty, (two years in-active reserves). The Marine Corps opened many doors for me. I did NOT get the MOS that I believed I was "guaranteed." I sometimes wonder if my life would have been different if I had. At the time, I wanted to be in the Marine Corps, and the occupation I got was just fine. I had a great time and met people I am proud to know. The job I have today has absolutely nothing to do with what I did in the Marine Corps. However, what I did in the Marine Corps has EVERYTHING to do with what I do in my job. (Yes, that makes perfect sense).

I am in my third branch of the military now. Having gone through Marine Corps boot camp, I did NOT have to attend basic training for the Army or the Air Force. Now, had I (or anyone) wanted to do it the other way around, then I would have had to go through boot camp twice. (No other branch requires enlistees to attend basic training once they have been in the Marine Corps. (The Marine Corps requires ALL enlistees to attend boot camp, regardless of what branch they were in before).

Aside from all that, in today's military, if you want out, you can get out. It is not like the old-time stories of going to prison or whatever for breech of contract. They have gone as soft as they can on that. There have been too many babies crying to ma-ma and ma-ma crying to Congressmen. To ___-____ much crying altogether!

At your age, decisions should be becoming easier. You know how to do your homework by now, or should. Do not jack with the recruiter. Tell him/her what you want, have them draft up a contract, then you look it over, take it to a lawyer if you need to, and either join or do not. You will know if it is right for you. In short order. If it's not... walk. They'll give you some papers to sign and you can let it become a memory. The General Discharge will become an Honorable in about six months or so. (I don't like that part, but you can thank "you know who.") --> :cry:

my69camaro

Well, then I'm probably above average for physical condition then... Situps are easy... 3 dead hang pull ups aint Shyt, and I can run all day.. haha...

If I join the service it will only be the marines or nothing... I'm fine with being front line but I do want to deal with the transportation side of things to...

I'm going in Sat to sign some papers so the recruiter can check my background, which is clean... Said the soonest they could ship me out would be around Dec-Jan....

I'll just make sure everything is in writing...

Sarge

my69camaro,
I hate to be the one to say this; you are going in with the wrong attitude. You will be sorry.
Why don't you sit down with an older real Marine (NOT a recruitment Marine) and have a long talk?
Save yourself a lot of heartbreak, try to understand what a Marine is, not what Hollywood purports.
-Sarge

my69camaro

"The wrong attitude"... How so? I just want to know how others have felt with their choice... No I'm not going to base my choice off of a poll, this just looked like the only section I could talk about non MV stuff.. There are only a few people I personally know who have joined the service.. I want more input of course..

I want the marines because it's the most work to get in, I could care less about the uniform... Sure I'd like to look back 40yrs from now and say I served the USA.. I'm just saying if I sign up for mechanical dutys, that's what I want for the most part.. Half of these replys make it sound like I should either be happy with front line or go somewhere else... Don't get me wrong I like shooting stuff but I also desire to work on marine issued vehicles, diesel powered :p .. No, I'm not looking to further my education after.. I don't plan on staying in for life.. I just would like the experience, and to have it as a chapter in my life.. Something to be proud of..

I think my metal strength will make it in boot camp just fine, and physically I'm not to worried either.. I believe I am on the waiting list under D8 (may be wrong :roll: ) which was mechanical... That is why it would take a few months to ship off for training..

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarge is just trying to make sure you are doing things for the right reasons and are adequately prepared to make your decision. He is a retired First Sergeant, he knows a thing or two about guiding young folks in the military ways.

And even if it is in writing, it still may not be so. I believe all Marine contracts still end with "..or as the needs of the Service dictate". That is how I joined the Marines (not the marines) with a contract to be a tank driver and got told, when receiving orders at graduation, 0311 - Infantry. So I went to the infantry and loved it. During my time I went through boot camp and OCS, I was infantry, an armorer, and an airwinger. I loved it all, never regretted a minute (a few seconds perhaps, but no minutes) except when I got a bit banged up in a helicopter crash and got permanently taken off flight status.
Keep in mind that my boot camp platoon started with 96 privates and graduated 48. OCS attrition was about the same. You really had to want to be there.

Remember also, during peacetime or war, if there is somewhere for the US to engage the baddies, Marines will be sent there. And all Marines are riflemen first, whatever MOS second.

M16TY- I really enjoyed the first half of Full Metal Jacket, saw it in the theater when it first came out, watched it many time since. My drill instructors used many of those lines exactly. Hah! :)

Oh, and I never did get to drive a tank...

Cheers

N1265

I had a neighbor of mine that went into the Marines under a guaranteed contract as a fire fighter
( in the air wing ) After boot camp he got his orders to go to the fire school but when he first arrived there they told him his eyesight was not good enough to be a firefighter and he had to be a grunt... He was not buying this and told them if he could not be a fire fighter ( per contract ) then he wanted out.

he said they put him with the company Police SGT. and he spent the next couple of months cutting grass and painting rocks. He said he also had to see all kinds of officers and he simply kept repeating his request. He knew they were just trying to wear him down to accept a position in the 03 field but he was not going for it

Then one day in morning formation, out of the blue, he was told to turn in all of his gear and be on the plane in 2 hrs.

I am not sure what kind of discharge he got, But for some reason I think it was an OTH.

This was in the early 80s

Bow-man

Stories like this abound...I knew guys in bootcamp that lied to get in. One guy memorized the eye chart because he was blind in one eye, another guy somehow slipped through the cracks and got kicked out because he was color-blind. One guy found out half-way through boot that he had some sort of medical condition (cannot remember what) and they discharged him. He was heart-broken...his dad was a former Marine, his brothers were all Marines, it had been his lifelong dream, and he appeared to be well on his way to becoming an outstanding recruit.
There were at least a dozen or so guys that complained about how their recruiter had "lied to them" and they went in under an open contract because the one they wanted wasn't currently available or there were no openings. They all ended up grunts. Our platoon guide was on an admin contract and changed it to 0300 (grunt) before graduation (what a tool). This was in '89. Then there were guys who whined because they didn't want to go to Desert Storm, and a few who refused to deploy. I hope they got time in the brig, personally...
Just remember that it's ALWAYS about the needs of the Corps. Nothing else. That's why I was saying if you have this mentality going into it, you won't be so disappointed with the outcome. It would suck to enlist with a certain specialty MOS (like firefighter) in mind, and solidified on paper as a guarantee, then get screwed. But that's why you should join to become a Marine first. And all Marines are riflemen first. Everything else is secondary. If you are joining ANY branch, especially the USMC, and have an attitude of 'what can you do for me?' then it may not be for you. It truly is supposed to be about doing something for your country, and the skills and character you will hopefully acquire are one benefit for you...

Katch1

getting things in writing does not always mean you get it. You are essentially government property once you are in.You are there to fill the needs of uncle sam, whatever they may be at the time. Uncle sam isn't there just for one individual, he has a bigger problem. Not trying to be smart or anything, but its true when you get down to it, National security takes precedent over all else.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I wasn't a Marine I have the utmost respect for them and what they go through to become one.

My friends who were Marines always made sure to correct me n the ex-Marine thing. No ex-Marines, only former. :)

Like most have already posted if you go in with the right attitude you will do fine and will most likely learn something about life and yourself. I do have my suspicions though as you said you didn't care about the uniform. I served 6 years in the USN and still respect a Marine in uniform above all others.

Full Metal Jacket = one of the most enjoyable boot camp portrayals of all time IMHO.

steve
USN

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
You need a plan for what you want to do with your life and then train accordingly. The corp is a great place to start. In these uncertian economic times you know that you will get paid. With the turmoil throughout the world, there is plenty of work.

mightyhammer

If you have to ask...Probably best go in the Navy or something. Some of us weirdos out here saw "The Sands Of Iwo Jima" at a young age and decided thats for me!(Pop thought I was loco...funny, he volunteered USMC for Nam, and I'm the crazy one:wink:...LOL) Different breed. Tough life. Best service if you want to be some sort of ground pounder. If you want a technical job or are just doing it for the college money, better not...LOL

AN/ARC186

I joined the Marines and never looked back, it was the best 15 years of my life, I was medically retired after a helicopter crash or I would have done at least 20.There is nothing that compares to the people you meet, the places you'll go and the things you'll do.I went in as a 6324/6344(aircraft electrician/electronics.made it to crewchief on UH-1N's and had a great time. But remember, all Marines are basic riflemen first and foremost.

chicklin

I have no military experience at all, but I always thought that if I was going to join, I would probably pick the Marines. I've read a lot of WWII history and one of the things that struck me was the interviews with the guys in Band of Brothers, the 82nd Airborne, I believe. They said they picked paratroopers b/c they wanted to be part of the best. And after they recovered from a battlefield injury, they inevitably wanted to be sent back to the front lines with their original units. I realize that was the Army, not the Marines, but the point is the same. Some guys want to be a part of the best to bring out their best.

Also, I always figured that if I did join up (voluntarily or otherwise), that I would talk to someone active duty and find out what to expect in terms of daily routine and start that routine at home months in advance, if possible. That way, it's not such a big shock to the system. Get your butt up early and run, lift, etc. to get used to that kind of schedule.

Oh, and if you have a wife or girlfriend, have them scream at you constantly while you're doing this. I'm sure they will be happy to help :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks