• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marker Lights

bigelk50

I have seen a lot of trucks that do have marker lights down the side of them and a lot that do not. Our 1972 AM General M35A2 does have them, but our 1986 M35A2C does not have them. Did they come with marker lights, or did someone add them?

I also am going to check the Oregon laws to see if I need them.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was an add on kit, called the Mini light kit.. It added side marker lights to the Deuce. Finding a complete kit is just about impossible, but pretty easy to make it up out of parts.

datsunaholic

Mine has them. In fact I bid on it specifically because of that; I kind of like them.

When I was in the service I was of the impression that all Deuces and 5-ton cargos built before 1970 did not have them, but ones built after 1970 did because of federal lighting requirements. I never saw anything to dispel that belief, as out 1966 M813s and our 1969 M109 didn't have side clearance lights but our pair of 1972 M813s did, and our M900-series naturally did.

However, I see a lot of Deuces nowadays claiming to be built in the mid 70s through the late 80s that don't have them. Though I'm somewhat skeptical of the "year" on many of those. Especially the ones marked as "1990 Deuce" on GSA when the truck looks like it hasn't moved since the mid 70s. Or the REO and Kaiser-Jeep Deuces marked as mid-80s.

Flea

I think, as well, you can probably retro-fit something you make yourself for a lot cheaper... I recall someone recently bought a mil-spec "mini-light" kit and it was several hundred bucks.

Michael

My first truck has this kit on it. Anybody know the history and purpose of the kit. It doesn't really bring the truck up to current US standards. I was thinking it might have been for Europe. The kit includes a rear facing front turn light and front and rear side markers.

If the truck didn't have them when it was made it doesn't need them now, except for the tag light, if you are using it for personal use. Some people have had to update theirs for it to pass a commercial inspection.

m109guy

We had to install marker lights on our M109 and M35 to pass inspection up here. It involved installing 16-18 lights which brought it up to line with other standard trucks. We had no choice if we wanted to be allowed to drive on the road with them. I didn't bother buying military issue lights, and just used some regular truck marker lights with 24v bulbs in place of the 12v bulbs. Was a pain, but didn't have much choice. When we repaint the trucks in the spring, we will be painting the light casings so that they blend into the truck better.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Datsun,

No, you are incorrect. The deuce, no matter what year built, from 1950's to 1989 (last year of manufacture) didnt have to meet federal lighting requirements.. The Mini Lght Kit was made to meet European requirements, where the US Military could not "overide" US Federal MV specs.... Not many truck have them. Modern MV's, like the HEMTT, PLS, FMTV, and HMMWV now attempt to meet the Fed requirements.

Last edited:

datsunaholic

Emmando, I'm a bit confused by your post... I know that Deuces don't meet FMVSS 108. They can't... it requires reverse lights.

Anyhow, what I meant was that at the time that's what I thought, because that's what I saw when I was in the Service. Since I've seen newer ones I now know that they weren't always installed. Heck, I yanked several sets of side lights out of the Ft Lewis "Junkyard" for our trucks in the unit though I never got a chance to install them. But it's far more common to see early 70s ones with the side lights than without, and more common to see 60s without. The Federal standard changed in 1969.

With the Deuces I'm not sure it's totally a Euro thing, though. The rear-facing turn signal is. I've seen quite a number of Deuces with side lights but no rear-facing signals. My Deuce, and all but one the trucks with side marker lights we had in my unit, did not have the rear-facing turn signals. I think the only one with rear-facing Signals I remember was the Deuce the Coast-guard unit that lived next to my Navy unit had.

Our M900, OTOH, had all the side lights plus the 3 center lights required by current regs. I think the M35A3s we had briefly also had the 3 center lights. They also had reverse lights.

tamangel

Marker lights..

We had to install marker lights on our M109 and M35 to pass inspection up here. It involved installing 16-18 lights which brought it up to line with other standard trucks. We had no choice if we wanted to be allowed to drive on the road with them. I didn't bother buying military issue lights, and just used some regular truck marker lights with 24v bulbs in place of the 12v bulbs. Was a pain, but didn't have much choice. When we repaint the trucks in the spring, we will be painting the light casings so that they blend into the truck better.
Al, Got any pic's of your rig at night 'all lit up w/ markers and extra lights on?

hopefully, they don't turn out like the Japanese Truck pic below..

Mike

Attachments

datsunaholic

Here ya go... you can clearly (well, not that clear but it's my old camera) see the 3 side marker lights on mine. And no rearward turn signal (I know someone posted a pic of those somewhere else).

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the trucks we ran in the Navy Reserve. It was 6 years ago.

Attachments

Jones

As explained to me; With the new night vision gear being able to spot body heat and the signature of vehicle engines, Black-out ops are pretty much a thing of the past.

Since they're being operated in CONUS, most of the newer stuff like HEMTTs, FMTVs and HMMWVs are fitted with clearance lamps.
Some vehicles like the M35a3s also got them when coming through a depot level rebuild.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Night vision works on IR, Thermal detects heat. Two entirely different spectrums. Black out ops are still common. Not all the bad guys have IR or Thermal capabilities. When driving with headlights, they can be seen for MILES on a dark night. No so with Black Out Drive lights. All MV's have BO drive lights, going back to WWII trucks to the HEMTT A4's that are rooling off the line right this minute... Thats one thing that has been standard on tactical MV's for over 60+ years.. The engineer that tought of that one 60+ years ago can still say that his idea has been in constant service from Europe to Afganistan, and will live on to the next several conflicts.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here ya go... you can clearly (well, not that clear but it's my old camera) see the 3 side marker lights on mine. And no rearward turn signal (I know someone posted a pic of those somewhere else).

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the trucks we ran in the Navy Reserve. It was 6 years ago.
Is that light's on the bed? I say this because they look just like the refectors (not lights) on my truck.

bigelk50

Thanks guys, I figured that being a military vehicle they would not have to meet all of the rules. We are going to put some down the side of the m35a2c just to keep some one from plowing into the side of it. I kinda like the lights on the M109!!

m109guy

I would recommend putting marker lights on at least the front and rear corners of the truck. That way anyone can see how big you are when going down the road. Though putting them all over doesn't hurt either. I really needed to put some near the top of the M109 because of the size of the box (help in case of possible clearance issues in small places).

I like the lights on my truck, they look cool and don't really stand out during the day. I would rather be see as the big green safe truck if there is an accident. That way no one can say it was somehow your fault if something happens.

I will also be adding some spot lights in the future for added visibility when parked or backing up at night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks