• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

markings on deuce

DEVILDOC

Trying to get abbreviations right!
Its bravo company, 8th Engineering Support Battalion,2nd Force Service Support Group

So would the deuce bumper makerings be...8ESB-BC-2FSSG

And what would be on the side of the hood is it the last 5 of the serial number of the truck
Thanks

Srjeeper

Get in touch with Dave at 'Delta Team Decals'....he'll be able to answer all you questions and make you the Paint Masks to do the job.....he sells stencils seperately or complete vehicle kits..[thumbzup]

index

AceHigh

My guess. Left side 8ESB Right side B#

Left side might be 8ENG. I doubt they would even put 2nd Force... KISS system.

# would be whatever truck number you assign. Usually 6 might be reserved for the commanding officer's ride.

Last edited:

DEVILDOC

Ace not sure ebay you are talking about what the group is 2nd the force Service Support Group. The bridge number is 8. I was wondering about the number on the side of the hood?

Blueduce

Maybe this will help. THE ANSWERS ARE FOUND IN TB 43-0209, TM 43-0139, AND AR 750-1 but here are the basics.

TB 43-0209, Color, Marking, and Camouflage Painting of Military Vehicles, Construction Equipment and Materials Handling Equipment, standardizes how vehicle bumper numbers are applied.
The markings are divided into four positions in Para 9g-k. Positions 1 and 2 are applied on the left, while positions 3 and 4 are applied on the right. The positions identify:
1. the major command, organization, or activity the equipment is associated with
2. the intermediate organization or activity
3. the unit that operates and maintains the vehicle
4. the specific vehicle number (often associated with the order of march)
Anything beyond this policy, such as assigning a specific number against a specific unit position, is a matter of unit SOP.

SMOKEWAGON66

Im guessing right side would be 2FSSG 8ESB left side would be B- then the number of your vehicle (i.e. 126...being 1 for platoon 2 for squad and 6 for line number...usually). As you look at you bumper ( i.e. your left is truck right) Left to right is highest to lowest from MACOM to the Company level.

Ace is correct about 6 being a CO's number..7 was the 1st Sgt or Plt ldr... In my last unit..the 66th TC... the CO's HMMWV had 666 painted on the left side lol...

This may be innacurate but this is based on what I knew in the Army.

Heres an example of what blueduce posted...

Attachments

Last edited:

F18hornetM

I dont remember any of our trucks having unit markings, only a 6 digit truck number. Which was the last of the vin #. But that was 30 years ago, I am sure things have changed. Here is a picture how I marked My duece. I marked it like the trucks I drove were marked. But its yours so anything is really good.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

And what would be on the side of the hood is it the last 5 of the serial number of the truck
Thanks
I don't recall the serial numbers on the hoods after we started painting the trucks camoflauge, in any unit I was in. If you want the truck to be Vietnam era and painted OD, the hood numbers would be appropriate.

F18hornetM

Seems it was never consistent. I have pics in photo album of M151's with USMC on hood and 6 digit number, and I found one of a new M923 with USMC - ###### on left side of tilt hood. But these were only 1" tall letters/numbers. That was from 1982-1986. I thought that the number was the last part of the VIN, but I could be wrong. There was a pretty good post on here about USMC markings, Im looking for it.

Last edited:

67Beast

First of all we need to start out with is what branch of service you are looking to mark and what era. There are huge differences between how the Army marks vehicles and how the Marines mark vehicles.

Vin #s were never used as hood registration numbers. If it is an Army vehicle, you may find that the proper hood registration numbers may be stamped into you data plate in an empty spot or stenciled inside the drivers door. Mine had both and the registration number was stamped into the contract number spot below my vin number. See attached pic. It was also stenciled inside the drivers door and under the hood. Marine vehicles use a unique registration number also, usually 6 didgits with no letters in it.

For bumper unit numbers it also depends on the branch of service. Marines do not use bumper unit numbers on thier vehicles. Army vehicles use a sequince to make them. It is;
Reading such markings from left to right on a front bumper would tell us a lot about the vehicles assignment, to include:

1. The Major Command it is assigned to
2. The Intermediate Command it is assigned to
3. The Unit or Activity it is assigned to
4. The vehicle number for convoy purposes, aka: Order of March

Attachments

F18hornetM

If the vin# wasnt used as part of the hood number, I wonder what they went by.
I am know there is an official markings policy or method, but does seem to vary alot. I can not remember ever looking at the data plate on any I drove back then.

I guess someone serving now could look and tell us for sure. Marines that is.

steelandcanvas

The tactical vehicles I drove did not have the serial number on the hood, but they did have the Army Registration Number: USA XXXXX. That number I would imagine was assigned by Department of the Army. We always called it the "USA number", for lack of a better term. The serial number was assigned by the factory. Order of March was determined by Battalion HQ, our bumper/ette numbers had nothing to do with that order. Those numbers did however reflect what Platoon, Battery, Troop, etc., that the vehicle was assigned to. My Vehicle numbers on my Deuce in Germany (right side) was: 8 3F16, 8th Division, 3rd Battalion, 16th Field Artillery. The left side was SVC 14, Service Battery, vehicle number 14. Hope this may clear some things up. Your results may vary.

Last edited: