• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland State Inspection: I need your advice!

crolfe1984

Maryland State Inspection: I need your advice! CTIS & Wheels

So I have my 1990 BMY M923A2 in a local Baltimore, MD truck shop for Maryland State Inspection. This is the last hurdle I need to clear before it gets tagged and ready to be enjoyed long-term. I know some people might ask why it isn't registered as a historic vehicle that doesn't require inspection, but I've already looked into that. Maryland has some very strict laws governing the use of historic vehicles over 10,000 pounds. I do need to go through the standard tag & title procedure.

Here is where I could use some help/guidance... They need to get each of the wheels & hubs off in order to measure pad thickness and to inspect each wheel/shoe. They called me and stated they do not have the technical knowledge to get each wheel and CTIS valve off.

Is there anyone that could guide me to a mechanic, service shop, or fellow SS member in the area that can remove all six wheels and hubs to an M923A2 (and do it safely w/o damage)?

The truck is located in Baltimore City, MD. Thank you for all of your help so far!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He answered that. He doesn't want the restrictions with the historic tag.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are dust covers on the back that can be removed with out pulling the hub and wheels. You can see both brake shoes if all they need to do is measure them.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Its not that hard,If they are a heavy truck repair shop.They should be able to handle it,Its just nuts and bolts.

R Racing

Pulling the tires are easy. You just need to disconnect the hoses coming from the stud and then remove the lug nuts if it's simular to the m35a3 getting the drums off your on your own lol the ctis valves should stay with the tire and rim .

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
With a question like that from a big truck truck shop, I would say "that is ok, I will pick it up and take it to a REAL truck shop" these morons are what give truck shops a bad name.

crolfe1984

So I've found that in TM 9-2320-272-24P-2 sections 0313 to 0323 cover the CTIS system parts. It's hard to relate to the actual truck since I'm in front of a computer and my M923A2 is sitting in a shop.

Anyone who has removed their M939 series super singles with CTIS have any input on removal of the wheel/brake drum?

For the front - once the cover comes off it looks as if one bolt and hose fitting hold the entire CTIS assembly to the wheel. Once that is off would the wheel come off as any other truck or is there a bit more behind the wheel to deal with?

For the rear - once the cover is off it looks like one brass fitting into the hub needs to come out and that's about it. Any other complications?

tim410

i registered mine historic. haven't had a problem. drive it allll the time. drove it to work about 30 miles away other day

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks