• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mashed Potato Oil

5tonpuller

I been running mine on 50% Bio. The oil is the same. Well other then it being used. I have had no problems. I responded to in another thread what I was told from Bob. More later I guess.
MM The plot thickens. ( yes I know )

sprucemt

While we are waiting for the results of the oil sample may I suggest researching WVO polymerization. Seems to me that this could be the issue.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone get some engine oil out of the multi, add some WVO and heat it to around 230 degrees and see what it looks like. In one of the above posts, it was stated that he ran on straight diesel after discovering the issue. Was the oil changed then? If so, did the engine "make oil"? Is Bjorn having the analisys done on the mashed potato stuff or the stuff he is running while using diesel?

luapmonn

I read though I can't find any info about it now that cashew oil added to engine crankcase was used to sabotage equipment during ww2. It worked by solidifying
the oil . When we talk about WVO who knows what is in it?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sprucemt said:
While we are waiting for the results of the oil sample may I suggest researching WVO polymerization. Seems to me that this could be the issue.
You may have put your finger on it, spoke with my chemist friend and she suggested that it's polymerization, the heat and pressure (=oil pressure) will create "long molecular chains" which increases the viscosity. Kind of the opposite of making biodiesel, where the chains are broken to reduce the viscosity.

They are actually making "bio plastics" with this procedure.

This should be an eyeopener for all of us using biofuels, the last thing we want is a leaking fuel density compensator.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would like a second helping of those chocolate potatoes please.

All joking aside is there a test for the fuel density compensator to see if it is leaking even a little bit that may boil off in the oil if running straight diesel like I do?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have the oil analyzed often David, I know I will since I'm keeping the FDC on line in the 8x8 -2 engine.
In the opinion of my chemist friend, biodiesel will not cause this problem, since the molecular chains are much shorter.

The FDC leak may be caused by tiny (rust) particles in the fuel. I know rust caused my IP problem and perhaps also the FDC leak. Needless to say, I'm paying a lot of attention to the fuel filtering on the 8x8.

5tonpuller

He tells me he ran Bio for some time ( the millage escapes me ) and had no trouble until he changed the oil before the trip. He said something about there was a batch of bad oil ( army surplus ) that was out there. Still no change in the oil that is in it now and running on Bio. He needs to drive it more since he got back. The best is yet to thicken up. ( sorry )

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought about David's question about the FDC test other than oil samples could a pet cock be screwed in the bottom of the IP and after a run drained and checked for any fuel contamination?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the oil within the IP drains right back into the crankcase. Originally it was drained via a separate connection sort of a short cut and there is a pipe plug in the bottom of the IP at that point, but it still drains right back into the crankcase.
I think that the engine hours could be an indicator, if we could get some statistics. Mine failed after about 1,390 hrs. If there is any rust inside the fuel tank, be on the alert! Also WMO could be a potential problem for the FDC and the IP plunger too, for that matter...