• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Master Cylinder Rebuild

Baron3-6

So, I've replaced the front flex lines (and one small section of steel line fused to the old flex line) and am bleeding the brakes...lots of pumping, bleeding, and constantly topping off the master cylinder later....still soft pedal...I have no bubbles at the bleeders, but small bubbles forming in the master cylinder reservoir now. I'm thinking either I just have ton of air from replacing the lines and need to keep bleeding, or my master cylinder is starting to go.

I have the Napa rebuild kit for it (UP1).....but I've also noticed that complete master cylinders are around $80...so:

Anyone rebuilt one? and is it more of a pain in the a$$ that $80 for the new one would be worth it.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually go with the complete rebuilt unit. By the time you clean and rebuild the old one, assuming it is rebuildable, the cost of one ready to go is worth it.

Frank

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know you can install split master cylinders from a late 70's early 80's chevy truck cheap and update the safety of the system while doing it? I'll dig out my stuff tonight and find the info (doing this is my weekend project anyway).

poppop

I have rebuilt many master cylinders just not on M37's. Rebuild is fine if it hones out clean and will be cheaper. But if you don't get a shiny surface on the complete bore it will not hold up. If it were me I would hone my master and evauate its condition and go from there.

pwrwagonfire

Did you open the vent line on the top of the MC when you were bleeding? I was having the same thing as you are having happen until I did that...bleed like a dream, then closed it afterwards.

I was given advice on here a couple years ago not to re-build; I'm sure once would be fine, but hone that out too many times and it gets pretty out of spec!

Let us know how it goes!

Baron3-6

pwrwagonfire,

Is this the valve you're referring to? (see pic)
It didn't mention this in the TM I've got on bleeding but that makes sense....

Thanks!

Attachments

emr

FYI I have brand new Deuce and 5 ton master cylinders, deuce 50... 5 ton 80 plus ship from Nj, I need a phone number and zip if interested, ...

Baron3-6

Well I didn't end up using the valve, although it sounds like it makes things much easier. I looked at mine, covered in rust, looking rather frail, and heard my inner voice say to me "if you try to open this you will **** this up so bad only a weekend and $100 at the Napa will fix it"......and this time for once, I listened.

I bled each line in order about 8 times over and after lots of pumping....I got the pedal to stiffen about 1/2 way to the floor, ideally should be 1/3. I'll let it sit a few days and then give it one more good bleed. At least she has enough brakes for a good victory lap around the neighborhood!

Paint is coming nicely too!

Attachments

pwrwagonfire

Well I didn't end up using the valve, although it sounds like it makes things much easier. I looked at mine, covered in rust, looking rather frail, and heard my inner voice say to me "if you try to open this you will **** this up so bad only a weekend and $100 at the Napa will fix it"......and this time for once, I listened.
:lol:

You're lucky...I usually don't pay attention to this voice until its too late!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks correct, but can't tell or sure.

g2065g

That kit is only 18 bucks at NAPA. I will see if I can get one here local and compare sizes. I will post what I find out.

The kit is about half the diameter of the m35 cylinder. No go.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks