• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Master cylinder removal

Tilyn52

While waiting for some engine parts to finish the rebuild of my 1952 OA331 I figured I would go thru the brakes as recommended by many. Have 6 new wheel cylinders and hoses, going to install a new master cylinder but can't seem to get it out. Tech manual says remove bolts and lines and remove. Got the bolts out, removed pto lever and bracket, all fittings but can't seem to move it back enough from the bracket no matter how I twist or turn it. Am I missing something or just keep fighting it? Been a long day, might be missing something obvious.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to position the M.C. just so, then it comes right out. It took me a bit to get mine out and back in.

Tilyn52

I removed the fitting from the rear, twisted and turned it just wouldn't come out. A matter of 1/4 of an inch. Couldnt lift it or turn it to move it back enough to clear the bracket. So I loosened the bracket 6 bolts and it dropped out.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's great fun, isn't it?

I find that coming in via the rear crossmember hole with some long 3/8" extensions & a deep-well socket take care of the two upper bolts, while you can use an open-end wrench on the two lower bolts. Then maneuver the MC in through the crossmember hole and work it outwards (sideways) usually gets them out for me.

stb64

Remove one, or even both plugs at the rear of the master cylinder, so You can slide it rearwards into the hole in the crossmember, and then tilt it and pull it out to the front.

Tilyn52

I took all the plugs off , and tried pulling it back into the hole to tilt it down. Or anyway. Bolts were not fun but got them out ok. Just a matter of fractions of an inch. Wouldn't go back quite far enough no matter what I tried. But it's out, maybe the hard way.

Kaiser67M715

I had replaced mine last year, it was a bear to get the old one out, but the New one went in easy, almost like it was slightly shorter. Visually it looked the same.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea you can also tell if it has been replaced before as it only has three bolts to hold it in. This is where you learn to work not by sight but become the machine.

stb64

Yea you can also tell if it has been replaced before as it only has three bolts to hold it in
I noticed that too.
I think this is because the older GMTK only included a 1/2'' drive ratchet set.
With a 3/8'' drive ratchet set and the right lenght extension it is really easy to install the 4th bolt.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I struggled with a few replacements but, believe it or not, I followed the picture in the TM for the way it has to be rotated and it came right out. Go figure!

Tilyn52

The TM I'm using 9-819 from 1952 just shows the bracket and cylinder in the open with no help as to how to rotate it. Maybe a different manual or version may have.