• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mattg's '71 Gen. Prod. Div. M35A2

mattg2448

Its been a while sense i have posted some updates. As some may remember my truck from the tread - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/75045-sand-prime-paint.html

I have started my next mechanical addition, which reminds me, my last mechanical repair is holding up quite nicely! No leaks whats so ever!

Anyways, a little background story, my father had bought a deuce around '06/07 (Holy cow, where did the time go!?!?) it was equipped with a whistler turbo, stock garwood winch, and A3 type super singles on homemade crap rims. We used it for work for around a year or two, then mud bogged it for a year and a half. That destroyed it! We didnt know much, so we never plugged the fording plug on trans, so the clutch filled up with clay, unremovable clay! I kept begging my dad to allow me to take the winch of whistler off it and put it on mine, of course, there was always a loud laugh soon after that question.......

Finally he allowed me to take the winch. I invited two friends and we took the bumper off, and then the winch. One girl (Kandra) has never lifted a wrench before, I decided to be a kind guy and show he some basics! (She loved the 1/2" impact! HAHA!) that was 2 days ago, yesterday i went and took the frame extensions off along with the PTO shaft, i brought it all home with me to work on it. Today i dropped the frame extentions off at the sandblasters to get them blastd and primed, i also picked up new frame and winch bolts.

You guys believe that the original bolts with only grade 5? Crazy!

I got out the power washer, thanks to this beautiful day, and i started my truck, and not so thanks to the last rain storm, black soot all over the truck, so i washed it, along with all the salt from winter driving. I dragged the winch out and gave hit a wash. After that was completed i used my car as an anchor and started to take the cable off. The funny part, I was having some difficulty, so i pulled the cable with my truck, it lifted my car up and pulled it! haha but it finally became free (Cable was pinched, brake was not on). Now i have to change fluids and paint everything. Also would help if i put the PTO on! haha

More to come very soon!

Attachments

Last edited:

mattg2448

Thanks! I love working on my truck! The buying parts gets old fast though! haha

A question to someone that knows, where can I get/buy new plates (The ones that go over the drum, have a tendency to bend when wound up too much), and the threaded rod on the bottom, if i cant buy them (Cheaply), does anyone have the correct dimensions for all three pieces? I'm looking for a pretty darn accurate piece to look authentic!

Thanks in advance!!

mattg2448

Today i pulled my grille and bumper off, then i switched around my recovery loops to the with winch side. I got my frame brackets all painted up, and somewhat dried. Im using Behr exterior house paint, and boy, i love this paint! It goes on very nice!! Tomorrow I will drag those brackets out prime my bumper, paint my frame and start tearing down the winch and painting it.

I bought a half inch impact wrench (Air), boy is it nice and i got a steal! Went to harbor freight and everything was 30-100$, decided to look around. I had a gift card to sears, so i went there and bought one for 50 dollars, gift card was 20, i signed up for the craftsman tool club and got another 25 dollars off, i ended up paying 5 dollars! Awesome deal!!

Attachments

mattg2448

Just letting you know, protect that radiator when you put the winch in! :whistle:
I take it you've had some problems? Thanks for the tip!!

I've been working 6 til 930 all week so i havent got much done, but theres not much left.

I installed my PTO, which went pretty good, nothing broke, so thats really good! I also got new plates made, the ones that bolt on both winch cases, and also that threaded steel rod on the bottom, i just made a new one from .75 D cold rolled, just threaded it. All there is really left to do is prep the winch for painting, and replace a seal, install it and fill with oil. I also got a picture of the harbor freight gun im using..

Question to knowledgeable people, ever since i put my PTO on (i used 80w90 gear oil too!), my trans has been a beyotch to shift, i can no longer use the clutch while moving, and at a stop, its really hard to go into gear. If i am in gear stopped, i can shift the transfer case, but its hard and it grinds a tiny bit when going in. I have adjusted my clutch, and its been no help. So any tips would be nice!

Attachments

lawdog1623

Lookin good bro. My truck is coming aling too. Just put a spring seat in her. I got a whole lot of pics to add when i post my resto thread

mattg2448

Lawdog, i am very excited to see your project!!

Well ladies and gentle men, the winch is on! Its been on for about 3 weeks now, and boy does it look great!! I painted it up, waited for this Behr paint to somewhat harden, and then installed it. I am very happy with it! The old shear pin was sheared, so instead of buying one, which mind me, all of my money was practically gone cause of this project and of course gas and bills. But, being at a TEC center, and having access to lathes, i made my own, which they came out great! Also had to buy a new U-Joint for the PTO shaft, which I replaced with a spicer, part # 5-153X .

Once i got it all together, i gave it a final coat of green paint, and just waited for it to dry, harden, and become useable! In the meantime, i had to recover a few things.

After a week, i camo'd it with flat black and Rapco 383 Brown spray paint. I spooled up my cable, while spraying lube, that was done, then did my final markings, and its complete! Only took a month or so.

And i got to test it out, a buddy of mine got his deuce stuck to the frame in my field, so with my winch, a snatch block, and a solid anchor, i got her out!

Very glad I took on this project, gives me more pride in my truck!

Also, last picture i took it to a car show about 3 days after completion, it was a great time, first show ever!

Attachments

Flyingvan911

That's weird. I'm not sure what it could be either. Here's a shot in the dark. Are you using the correct gasket between pto and transmission? Maybe the spacing is off causing the gears to bind a little. Does the PTO shaft interfere with the clutch linkage?

mattg2448

Nope, i was on a time crunch and use RTV, but i have to take the PTO off soon to replace a seal in it. One thing i found as a possibility was that i drove for a long time with my fording plug in? Could that be any thing?
I would really like to go through the truck and ix everything thats wrong, and finish painting the underside.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nope, i was on a time crunch and use RTV, but i have to take the PTO off soon to replace a seal in it. One thing i found as a possibility was that i drove for a long time with my fording plug in? Could that be any thing?
I would really like to go through the truck and ix everything thats wrong, and finish painting the underside.
Using RTV definitely puts the gears way too close. I've had several direct from the military that were RTV and they were a bear to shift and made noise.

You definitely need to get an assortment of various thickness gaskets and set the lash correctly.

mattg2448

Well, haven't done much to the truck lately since I've been gone to Kansas City, I did find a gasket and seal kit for the PTO, that will be soon.. When i got home for KC i took it for a drive and found out that i have a flat tire.. Since i have a very good luck streak my spare was also flat. But i got the spare fixed, when to go change it, and the impact isnt strong enough to take the lug nuts off..

Time to get the one inch!

Also been working on my dads truck, the last two months I've been sanding and painting it, just got the final coats on, going to start putting it all back together today.

Last edited:

mattg2448

8/17/12

Matt here just stopping in to update, say a few words. Since my truck had some issues shifting, and we identified it to be no shims for the PTO, and my truck was leaking oil from the PTO shift levers, so i ordered up a PTO gasket and seal kit with boots from Memphis equipment. While i was at it i ordered a new inner axle seal cause i sprung a leak around a month ago.

PTO - The kit consisted of a few gaskets, 2 seals for the shift lever, one for the drive shaft, and 2 shift lever boots. First off, the boots didnt come with the retainers, so i had to order some seals the same thickness as the originals. Second, the shift rod seals were too think, which in turn made the retainer not able to seat. So i had to order the right ones, so it was like factory. I will upload part numbers. The gaskets were great!

Axle - Came apart like a breeze, was super easy.. Was apart for about 4 days, but only had about 1.5-2 hours of work into it. (Had to wait for the socket to be delivered)

After everything was said and done, it worked out great! Theres a slight leak on the PTO, but i can fix that with some RTV.

Saturday (8-18-12) i made some custom flag mounts, the work really good, and get the truck a great look! Ill take more pictures of it when its painted.

Also, as i said in the post above, i have been painting my dads truck, it looks great!! We went out for a father - son drive yesterday to the local bar for some dinner. the last picture is a cake that me and a lady friend made when we were bored, its supposed to be a deuce in a mud pit.. Doesnt look great, but boy was it tasty! Now i can say i made an attempt to be a cake boss! haha!

Anyways, its about time i go to bed, new job has me working at getting up at 5 am.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks