• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Max pintle load on 923

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I grease my pintle hitch every 1,000 to 1,500 miles or so. I always grease it when I unhook a trailer and i spin the pintle as I am adding grease to it. This is what it looks like after about 80,000 miles of my usage. Trailer has 1,800lbs of tongue weight, empty. Per CSMDavis it should be greased every time a trailer it going to be hooked up.

It does have some up and down play, scoring on the shaft, and it even has a dent in it.

I figured the Tow hook assembly it slides into would have a replaceable bushing for when you have to replace the pintle/shaft assembly. but it doesn't . So looks like I am going to slide a new pintle/shaft unit into it. and see if it has play and go from there. may be replacing the whole assembly with a take off.

One thing i noticed is that doesnt take much grease at all.

I average weight ratings with a 12,000lb empty trailer up to 60,000 combined. It has even seen 72k combined weight with the dolly setup.

So they can be damaged before their max rating.

Attachments

Last edited:

Csm Davis

I grease my pintle hitch every 1,000 to 1,500 miles or so. I always grease it when I unhook a trailer and i spin the pintle as I am adding grease to it. This is what it looks like after about 80,000 miles of my usage. Trailer has 1,800lbs of tongue weight, empty. Per CSMDavis it should be greased every time a trailer it going to be hooked up.

It does have some up and down play, scoring on the shaft, and it even has a dent in it.

I figured the Tow hook assembly it slides into would have a replaceable bushing for when you have to replace the pintle/shaft assembly. but it doesn't . So looks like I am going to slide a new pintle/shaft unit into it. and see if it has play and go from there. may be replacing the whole assembly with a take off.

One thing i noticed is that doesnt take much grease at all.

I average weight ratings with a 12,000lb empty trailer up to 60,000 combined. It has even seen 72k combined weight with the dolly setup.

So they can be damaged before their max rating.
Did you get the new one on yet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did you get the new one on yet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah it was fun. I learned really quick. The two bolts on the very inside of the pintle facing down. Take the torch and cut those right off. Will save you about an hour of cussing and busting knuckles. 1-1/8" sockets x 2, 1-1/8" wrench, Torch, 7/16" socket, 7/16 wrench.

Rest of them were pretty easy. Came right off with the dewalt impact gun. put the blending wheel to the face of the hitch unit so clean up some of the rust. You do have to remove the trailer harness plug from the actual housing it secures in. Took me about an hour. I will add a video of how much play mine had. It was pretty bad.

Replacement bolts are 3/4"-16 x 3" You need 8 of them. Harness plug bolts are 1/4" x 3"

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will add this. I ran some casting numbers off a deuce and 5 ton pintle I have. I came back with these specs.

Deuce - Vertical load 9,800lbs - Gross Trailer Weight 49,000lbs.
5 ton - Vertical Load 20,000lbs - Gross Trailer weight 100,000lbs.

The 5 ton doesn't look like the one in the pics but all of the parts for the actual latch and pins match up to fit an 39/809/939A0/1 hitch.
An A2 truck has a different latch mechanism than an A0/A1 truck.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks