• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Max towing capacity of a M35?

halftrack

Hey Gents,

What is the max trailer load i can tow with a M35 without tearing apart my truck. I would like to tow my halftrack (about 21,000lbs not including trailer) with my M35 but am afraid of killing the truck. Just about all the towing is flat with no change in grades. Any info would be appreciated.

mangus580

I would suggest a 5 ton for this purpose. A deuce is rated for 10k towing. I have towed between 15-18k with mine (not sure what my dozer weighs) and I would not suggest it. There is a severe lack of power, and about the same on braking.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I would rely on the data plate:

Cross Country 6,000 lbs (off road)
Highway 10,000 lbs

I know others have probably had MUCH more behind them with no problem. The main concern should be safety. The ability to stop and control the vehicle.

With some states looking very closely at Historic MV's, let's not give anyone cause by opperating outside of deisgn guidelines (deisign buffer or not). Accidents happen, no matter who's fault. 21,000 lbs behind a deuce would not be safe for you or those around you. Just my opinion.

Blythewoodjoe

Set you truck up with a 5th wheel and get a real trailer with air brakes. Of course you can find 5 ton trucks cheap enough now to justify getting one. I have a fixable old air force Ford F600 road tractor that would make a great truck for such a purpose.

houdel

NOT a good idea to 21,000 pounds with a Deuce. With a converter dolly and trailer with air brakes, maybe for short trips, but a 5 ton would be a much better choice!

kcimb

FWIW.... on Doug's heavy metal there's a 2 1/2 ton wrecker towing a Grant ww2 tank in Australia...speed was very slow, obviously, but it could be done....

jwaller

I know some locals here in sc have towed a bofers 40m anti AA gnu with the deuce and that thing weights 30k lbs. not even close to safe and I was told they couldnt get it up to min highway speed.

halftrack

thanks gents,

i knew someone on the board has done the impossible with deuces before and that's what i needed to know. i will resume pulling the halftrack with the m816 & the tractor for means of transportation of the halftrack. by the way, the super singles that i got from sermis are the best thing ever for 5 tons. the truck no longer vibrates, and it is a much smoother ride.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: This was 17,000

Don't ask Westfolk, you will be stunned. I've towed 25,000# before with my deuce tractor but some of that weight was on the 5th plate.

cbvet

Towed a 1942 Cletrac tractor on a lowboy trailer with a dolly converter. Probably a little over 20,000 lbs.
Thought there must be something seriously wrong with my M35A2!
Nope. Just too heavy a load.
Going down the paved road was hard enough on the truck, but when I pulled of into the dirt it was really tough.
The guy that owns the Cletrac now tows it with a 5 ton bridge truck. No problem.
Eric
CBVET

jwaller

I was told that the guys here that flat towed 30k with a deuce busted a couple Ring and pinions before getting a 5T for the job.

houdel

Halftrack - Awesome trailer! Tell me more about it, I am looking for something just like that. Make, capacity, etc.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've spoken to John Winslow, who sells trucks to loggers. They won't touch any deuce tractors because they just can't handle the loads. A deuce seems like a stout truck...and it is to a degree...but it is really not THAT big of a truck. It seems that way because most of us were used to driving civilian cars, SUVs, and vans. Once you are around a deuce for a while, they are not that big anymore.

No.2Diesel

Hi halftrack,

Sure you can. Screw the TM. I have towed this and similar combinations on many occaisions with no problems and looks to be around 25K+. Stopping is not a concern as the trailer brakes working with the truck brakes do a fine job. I can still do 55 out on the highways (though it takes a couple miles getting up to speed.) :wink:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks