• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

May have blown it up....???

cshaw07

1985 M1009 38k miles, turbo.

I worked on this truck all week, i did some wiring, swapped out a fuel filter assembly, fixed up my gauges, and changed my radiator. Previously this truck would want to overheat. I once saw the gauge get up to about 240* before i could shut it off. Rad was plugged, shop couldnt fix it, installed a new rad and new hoses and it runs cool now. Get in it saturday to go do some work and it starts up and runs fine. Through out the day I maybe started/shut it off about 10 times. I get home around 11pm saturday night, everything normal. Sunday morning I get in the truck at about 10am and fire it up, slow to fire, but it fired. I let it idle and start walking to the garage and it sputters, shuts off, and a plume of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. WHAT THE ****!? Go to restart and the starter doesnt work, so I start to look at that... Previous owner or someone who installed the starter stripped the nut to hold the + wire on the soleniod and it must of come loose and arc'd bad enough to melt the ring terminal in half. I said the **** with it and took the car.

Two days later I fix the wire to the starter with a new ring terminal and re installed the starter. Go to start it, wont start. I have an elec lift pump that is working, i cracked the IP lines loose and i'm getting fuel there. The engine doesnt sound bad when you crank it and i see no leaks around the head gaskets. The fuel shut off soleniod is working, i'm getting 11.52V to the GP's and they stay on like they should. The glow plugs are tested fine. The glow plugs are fine (had to say it twice because someone is going to tell me to check haha) Both batteries are fully charged, and i had my charger on the battery while cranking for that extra juice, all battery connections are good, and the starter spins just as fast as normal. I see/smell no fuel or white smoke when the engine is cranking, but i do only have about 3 feet of 4" exhaust as my exhaust currently.

The truck is turbo, the egt's never have went above 800* and the boost hit 12psi one (very very short) time, but runs constantly at 10psi max. I checked the fluids yesterday and didnt see any oil the coolant or coolant in the oil. But the rad was low... i put about a 1/3 gallon of water back in it, but possibly there was an air pocket when i filled the new rad? (wishful thinking?) This thing ran perfect all day saturday, then ran about 1 min or less on sunday and that's when it shut off.

PLEASE HELP! I'm really not sure what to do next, this is my first diesel but I thought up until now I had it pretty under controll haha

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just off hand is that the overheating problem warped a head causing the failure of a head gasket. It went downhill from there. :)

But that is a guess.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, had to work. I had typed up some thoughts but after reading post 2 figured you didn't need any more help.

cshaw07

i put the turbo kit up forsale and it literally sold 5 minutes later. if he doesn't buy it i believe you're about 8th in line for it lol i can't believe they sell so fast!

Carlo

1985 M1009 38k miles, turbo.

I worked on this truck all week, i did some wiring, swapped out a fuel filter assembly, fixed up my gauges, and changed my radiator. Previously this truck would want to overheat. I once saw the gauge get up to about 240* before i could shut it off. Rad was plugged, shop couldnt fix it, installed a new rad and new hoses and it runs cool now. Get in it saturday to go do some work and it starts up and runs fine. Through out the day I maybe started/shut it off about 10 times. I get home around 11pm saturday night, everything normal. Sunday morning I get in the truck at about 10am and fire it up, slow to fire, but it fired. I let it idle and start walking to the garage and it sputters, shuts off, and a plume of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. WHAT THE ****!? Go to restart and the starter doesnt work, so I start to look at that... Previous owner or someone who installed the starter stripped the nut to hold the + wire on the soleniod and it must of come loose and arc'd bad enough to melt the ring terminal in half. I said the **** with it and took the car.

Two days later I fix the wire to the starter with a new ring terminal and re installed the starter. Go to start it, wont start. I have an elec lift pump that is working, i cracked the IP lines loose and i'm getting fuel there. The engine doesnt sound bad when you crank it and i see no leaks around the head gaskets. The fuel shut off soleniod is working, i'm getting 11.52V to the GP's and they stay on like they should. The glow plugs are tested fine. The glow plugs are fine (had to say it twice because someone is going to tell me to check haha) Both batteries are fully charged, and i had my charger on the battery while cranking for that extra juice, all battery connections are good, and the starter spins just as fast as normal. I see/smell no fuel or white smoke when the engine is cranking, but i do only have about 3 feet of 4" exhaust as my exhaust currently.

The truck is turbo, the egt's never have went above 800* and the boost hit 12psi one (very very short) time, but runs constantly at 10psi max. I checked the fluids yesterday and didnt see any oil the coolant or coolant in the oil. But the rad was low... i put about a 1/3 gallon of water back in it, but possibly there was an air pocket when i filled the new rad? (wishful thinking?) This thing ran perfect all day saturday, then ran about 1 min or less on sunday and that's when it shut off.

PLEASE HELP! I'm really not sure what to do next, this is my first diesel but I thought up until now I had it pretty under controll haha
I know Im going to make allot of waves but I agree with the swap! I had a 6.2 and 6.5 and they run best when hooked to a chain on one end and a boat at the other! I can see the sparks flying from the 6.2 lovers but thats my experience with them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know Im going to make allot of waves but I agree with the swap! I had a 6.2 and 6.5 and they run best when hooked to a chain on one end and a boat at the other! I can see the sparks flying from the 6.2 lovers but thats my experience with them.
No worries. Too many folks try to get the 6.2 / 6.5 to do things it was never designed to do. If folks would use them as they were designed, there would be much less complaints. As it is, I'm glad for the folks doing the swaps, keeps a steady stream of affordable parts for my projects.

Anyone who buys a 6.2 expecting loads of power has their head in the sand and deserve what they get.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks