• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

May have screwed the pooch with WMO

chicklin

Had a bunch of old WMO in gallon jugs laying around from various oil changes. About 25 gallons worth altogether. There was a little (1-2 gallons) of used gear oil and some used ATF (maybe 1 gallon) in the mix. I poured all this in the tank, filtering it through two pairs of pantyhose and ended up with about a 50/50 mix of clean diesel and WMO. Took her for a test run and could immediately tell a loss in power. Struggled getting up hills and could not get beyond about 2100 RPMs on flat ground. The truck is normally a strong runner and will pull up mild hills in 5th. The FDC is not bypassed and I just changed all the filters about two weeks ago. Fuel pump looks brand new and the tank is clean as a whistle.

So, did I simply screw up by not filtering it better? Or was the little bit of 90w gear oil in there a bad idea? Or, is this just normal?

I threw a gallon or two of gas in there to try and cut it down a little. We'll see if that helps. I suspect I'm just going to have to burn this tank, change filters and refill with clean diesel. What do you think?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We'll see if that helps. I suspect I'm just going to have to burn this tank, change filters and refill with clean diesel. What do you think?
I think you are correct...there was prob a lot of water emulsified in the small containers.....I had the same thing happen with small containers of WVO.

camp9

The only experience I have so far with WMO is in my dodge cummins. I've been running about 50% and filter it to 1micron. I don't notice the power loss so much until I pull a trailer, and then I can feel the difference. It still runs good, just can't climb the hills as good as before.

chicklin

I'm starting to think the gear oil was a bad idea :) I guess the fuel is just not flowing at the same rate as before. Sounds like I need to burn through this stuff as quickly as possible and get some new filters in there.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think gear oil would necessarily be bad, maybe just limit it to a quart or two per tank. I would think the panty hose filter might be more of a problem, depending on who had worn them previously....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have run 100% WMO,WGO, and WATF. I have found that cutting it with gas/diesel so it has a mostly "diesel" consistency helps the most. I also would not gamble with pantyhose as a filter. Two small issues that thinning it out more should remedy.

chicklin

Well, I don't plan on running WMO much. Just enough to dispose of my oil change waste from our daily drivers and the deuce. I just happened to have a bunch built up from the past year before I got the deuce so I figured this was a good way to get rid of it.

I'll try topping it off with gas (or diesel?) and changing the primary filter (a couple times, maybe) and see if that helps.

gimpyrobb

I doubt changing the filter would help, unless it hasn't been done. It seems to me that gas does not fully mix with wmo for some reason. I would use diesel.

chicklin

So, is the issue that the stuff is just too thick (due to poor filtering) to flow properly through the system, regardless of the filters? They were all changed just a couple weeks ago. If I get it thinned out some, do you think it will flow better even without changing the filters again?

gimpyrobb

I think the FDC might be partially to blame too. You could try bypassing it. Just remove the fuel line from the final filter to the FDC and run it to the HH. Then use that short hose to loop the HH back to itself. Keep in mind you are now getting full power to your motor and to be cautious with the skinny peddle!

I have found diesel works better for thinning than gas.

But I have been running 100% waste oil unless i run low then i add diesel. My truck runs better on gear oil than anything else. Wished i serviced more manual trans and diffs.

Your problem is probably water. I took out my hydrolic head with some (40 gal) old oil that had been sitting around the house.

Now everything goes through a water blocker.

I would suggest draining the tank and running the fuel through a water blocker and back to the tank.

That is what i did after replacing the H H and had no more problems.

Mal 3:8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, 'In what way have we robbed You?' In tithes and offerings.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks