• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maybe an hour from catastrophic failure!!

jerseyjeep2003

OK, I started out by tearing into pinion bearing and seal replacement, as they were loose and leaking. No big deal. So I thought, my axle boots were split and oozing grease.....might as well take care that too, since I had a full kit to do all axle seals and boots. Started this afternoon with the drivers side. I took the brake drum off, the outer wheel bearing looked great, clean, even, light wear pattern.....no pits or flat spots, very usable still. But the inner!!!!! WOW!!! Never have seen a wheel bearing look sooo bad. It was completely rusted (sorry about the pic quality) to the point of not even being able to spin. It was just spinning on the hub shaft, good thing there was a little lubrication between the two.

I can only imagine what would have happened if that bearing would have seized to the hub at 55 MPH. Bye, bye 53" tire, wheel, brake and hub. And God help anyone that would be in the way. Like I said, not far from a catastrophe.

I will post up some pics of my tear down later tonight.

But, the moral of the story...Just because it feels like it drives OK, don't be so sure it is OK. Kids, do your PM as scheduled, not just "as needed" Fortunately I learned before somebody got seriously injured or killed. I hereby promise to never neglect any PM, no matter how insignificant, or time consuming it may seem.

Attachments

phil2968

Always seems to be the fronts that burn out. I guess because no axle lube works into the bearings. My fronts where bad too. Glad you found it! I have bad pinions bearings also. Future project.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have said it before and guess I will say it again. When you get a truck from GL take off all hubs front and rear inspect and repack you stuff.
If you bought from someone else hope you trust them if they said that all the trucks bearings have been serviced.

phil2968

I have said it before and guess I will say it again. When you get a truck from GL take off all hubs front and rear inspect and repack you stuff.
If you bought from someone else hope you trust them if they said that all the trucks bearings have been serviced.
Especially if they put it put it in mud and water before you got it!

barefootin

Although that is nasty, I've seen bearings where the cages cracked after they welded themselves fast. Good catch.... Reminds me that I need to pull my wheels and PM......

jerseyjeep2003

I purchased it from a SS fellow member. I trust his abilities as he also has a service garage. He assured me that he did a full PM on it when I bought it about a year ago. I probably put 3,000 miles on it since I got it. I have had it in some deep water a few times. But pressure washed it at least a dozen times. I did have the axle boots split at one point. Which is probably where the water got into it. They were the zipper kind. Silicon one pcs are going in now.

I am guessing the one on the passenger is just as bad. We'll see when I tear into that one next week.

lawdog1623

Im glad u found it brother. I was planning on chdcking my bearings today but i ended up changing out the cv axles and the front wheel bearings on a 2000 monte carlo.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Im glad u found it brother. I was planning on chdcking my bearings today but i ended up changing out the cv axles and the front wheel bearings on a 2000 monte carlo.
u is spelled YOU

FROM the SITE RULES
Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..............I did have the axle boots split at one point. Which is probably where the water got into it....
That would have affected the outer bearing first, not the inner; since normally water gets from the knuckle into the hub all the way through the spindle.
You probably need to inspect/ replace the hub seal, too - unless only the outer bearing has been replaced, 3K miles earlier...???

G.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If that bearing SPUN, you may have to replace the spindle, because a NEW bearing WILL be to loose of a fit

jerseyjeep2003

That would have affected the outer bearing first, not the inner; since normally water gets from the knuckle into the hub all the way through the spindle.
You probably nead to inspect/ replace the hub seal, too - unless only the outer bearing has been replaced, 3K miles earlier...???

G.
I would have thought that too, but, surprisingly enough, the outer looks like new. It is tight, clean and no wear at all.....hmmm, don't understand one and not the other.

I have a full axle seal and boot kit to finish installing. So far all of the seal surfaces on the shafts look great, only slight wear (maybe .002-.003) no sharp grooves, just kind of a smooth shallower area where the seal rides. A new seal will definitely take up that little bit of wear.

Last edited:

jerseyjeep2003

Left front axle done and back together, all looks well. I wound up having to rebuild the wheel cylinder as it started leaking when I squeezed it in to re-install shoes. No biggie, a quick honing and new internals and good to go. Now on to the right side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks